• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skipper by Palomar

Durango0005

Aug 9, 2009
Hi, I have this "Skipper by Palomar" which was given to my but I'm not 100% sure what it does. I was told it was a 1000 watt range extender. I don't know much about this stuff sorry. I tried google witch no luck. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it or has a link to a site with some information. I need to know how much power it actually uses from the battery when plugged in. Thanks ahead for the info!

IMAGE ATTACHED

Attachments

• skipper.jpg
    skipper.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 1,035

It's a CB amplifier. Open it up to take a picture of the inside and we can tell you more about it.

Hi here's some pics of the inside. After opening it up I found that it has a 20amp fuse inside. If it's unclear in the first image the 2-way switches on the front are 1)PWR AMP 2)PRE AMP 3)HIGH(top of switch) MODULATOR(bottom of switch). The pot just says MAX/MIN which I'm assuming adjusts the amount of amplification. Not exactly sure on the other switches.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 688
Most likely 4 x 454s, I have the same amp here. Great little amp good for close to 400 pep, depending on how you drive it and the volts going to it. Keep your dead key low, whatever it takes to get the amp to dead key around 100watts and you should be fine and it will last a long time.
Now, that could also be one of the 2 pill 2879 versions i've seen.
Ooops jus tsaw t he pics posted, looks more like a 1446 or 2290 box, pretty short compared to my 4 x 454 box, ohh heck, you should be able to read those pills to, there's no strap over them like mine.

I have a Cobra XL-350 and a Palomar Skipper 350 and they look alike and both have 2/2879 is that whats these transistors are in this one (The white round pill looking things have a number on them)

Ok thats what I thought with that being a modulator as I mentioned above they were one of 2 types and 1446 was my guess. Those transistors are 70 wats a piece probally good for around 150-180 watts and the ones I have 100 watt or some say 125 watt transistors with a 4 position power setting to choose from where your modulator had a variable like a volume knob so you have a little more control and a pinpoint capability for setting the power.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.