• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

small amp for ht

KB3TQO

Mar 26, 2010
Chambersburg PA
currently i am using a 2 meter hand held as a base station and it would be nice to have a little extra punch. not only the extra punch, it would be nice to take some of the load off of the ht when trying to reach distant repeaters. long qso's tend to get the ht pretty warm when pushing 5 watts.
i dont think i would need more than say 30-50 watts output. any suggestions?

thanks in advance

I have one of these PowerPlus HL-35, except mine has a preamp:
HL35NP.jpg

You can find them here: RF Parts Company. The do right at 30 watts and are made by Tokyo Hi-Power. It's a pretty good value at $59, but you can often find used ones for even cheaper. I got mine for $30 at a swap meet.

You would be much better served by spending the same money and getting a dual band mobile that puts out 50 + watts. You would be much happier in the long run.

Mirage makes some half decent amps for VHF/UHF. Not great, but not bad.

Mirage

RF Concepts made some pretty good amps and would be my choice however they are out of business and you would have to find a used one somewhere.

There are a lot of TPL amps found on the used market and are great amps, being made for the commercial users and will work great on the ham bands providing the frequency range matches up.

Mobiles

And as Mole has pointed out Tokyo Hi Power makes some really good amps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.