• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small Car Amp

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Hey Everyone

After doing some research and enquiring on a few items on the swap shop, now im asking the big question HOW BIG CAN I GO

I drive a small Sunfire with a 105 Amp alternator and im currently running a
DX 350 HDV texas star amp and im doing quite well locking down Ontario and the whole US east coast (Well I try)

But I want something a little larger and something safe for my small car, I run SSB most of the time and never truly hit the AM side that often so im needing AB1 biasing constant.

Can anyone provide direction on what kind of amp to purchase (new or used) and can anyone sell an amp to me :) ((That works))

Looking forward to hearing back from everyone

73's
Ontario Canada

:whistle::whistle::whistle:
:w00t::w00t::w00t:

the good news , you could run a 500V with that alternator .
the bad news , doubling power has a trivial effect on the distance you can talk .

what antenna are you running and how is it installed ?

the good news , you could run a 500V with that alternator .
the bad news , doubling power has a trivial effect on the distance you can talk .

what antenna are you running and how is it installed ?

Well tonight I was using 100 watts and no one would reply to my callings so I tripled my power to 350 watts or so and then they all started crying about me covering up all their skip so I think the 500v is just what the doctor ordered in this case.

Im running a Wilson 1000 Roof Mount and doing very well, 1.0 match sometimes 1.1, I also have a Wilson 5000 trunk lip mount and it has the same flat match.

500V im sure is a texas star, I was looking at the 667

Anyhow anyone selling a TS or similar for a decent price and who is willing to ship to Canada without complaint and not charge an arm and a leg to make extra money.???

73's
927 Ontario
CANADA

Im running a Wilson 1000 Roof Mount and doing very well, 1.0 match sometimes 1.1, I also have a Wilson 5000 trunk lip mount and it has the same flat match.

Anyhow anyone selling a TS or similar for a decent price and who is willing to ship to Canada without complaint and not charge an arm and a leg to make extra money.???

73's
927 Ontario
CANADA

I was put on this earth to help people who cannot help themselves, As a social worker im here for you the people.

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

If I was going to replace the 350, I would go with the 500.
The 667 is a bit temperamental, the built in driver is ( in my opinion ) overkill, makes the amp draw more current, and makes the amp run even hotter.
I run a texas star 500V as my daily driver and it is trouble free.
It is in a 2001 Ford Ranger, running a OEM 115 amp Alt, single Battery, and a Whip mounted on the truck. Works fine.
Add a Fan to it and feed it with big cable and it is plug and play.

Jeff

greetings all

I agree with most everything here and I add that the car's electrical system should drive the 4 pill as long as everything is set and installed as best as possible...good connections soldered, good bonding, good antenna, good swr match etc.

My concern would be when running the ac, there may not be enough there so be aware when you are running too many devices in vehicle so you don't drain the battery too quick before it can be recharged.

As for the difference at the receiving end, it is true that you must increase the output power by at least 3db (a 2x power increase) in order for the person on the other end to notice any change in your signal strength. And in order for you to sound twice as loud you would need a 9db increase in power or an 8x power increase.

But loudness is not everything (well it is to some) and I believe there are benefits at increasing transmit distances by adding more power even if you are not increasing signal strength enough to make that audible change to persons ear.

What I mean is this: and I will just use the following for this example, assuming the 2 pill is doing 200 watts and the 4 pill does 400 watts just for simplicity...and using the power in perspective graph based on transmit range of 4 watts=20 miles. With 200 watts you transmit 76 miles and with the 400 watts having doubled power enough to just notice somewhat of a signal strength change your range of communications should increase out to 85 miles.

You may not "blast" in to those stations out at 85 miles but you should be able to make the additional contacts. I also can't help to think that the additional power should also improve dx even though as mack mentioned sometimes people will say you are blasting in here. DX conditions are very good some ways and not so good in other ways which leaves you wondering sometimes, but that is the fun in the hobby, i am rambling now. good luck with the power change.

Last edited:

73's
927 Ontario
CANADA

If you are feeling generous;
TEXAS STAR DX500V 10/12 METER AMPLIFIER - Canada

This Hamfest is coming up in your neck of the woods, it was advertised on Durham's site.

Burlington Amateur Radio Club - Ontario Hamfest

Id stay with the 350 amp. You will kill that alt in a couple of months or so. Especially on SSB. You will have more amperage draw on SSB that AM. 300+ watts are good. It does the Job. I think if your gonna go bigger, try runing an extra battery for the 500 amp....

cswguy, do you know how many watts you are putting out with the ts350? Unless if it's been modified, I would say less than 150 watts. It is AB1 with about 75% efficiency. The ts350 is just the model number.

You will kill that alt in a couple of months or so. Especially on SSB.

I disagree.
My Ranger still has the OEM Alt in it after 10 years.
Half of them have been with the same 500 sitting behind the seat.
I run SSB more than 75% of the time.
And this Includes the HELLA Driving lights mounted out front.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.