• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Snow EMERGENCY in PA... & the CB is -

The War Wagon

Dec 27, 2014
da' 'BURGH
- SILENT. :unsure:

I can remember 25-30 years ago down in the Charlotte area, when a 3" snowfall would set my radio on fire with traffic. Only 7" here in the South Hills of Pittsburgh this morning...

0123160855_zpslqdoyy7s.jpg

... but I've been scanning ONLY the CB frequencies on my BC355C scanner for 2 hours now... and not a PEEP. Not from trucks, not from 4 wheelers - ONLY the sound... of silence... :(

Reactions: radionut57

Here's at least a couple reasons why...

This is a snippet from a past post I did and explains at least within the trucking industry why there isn't as much CB activity.

at one time, Truck drivers were some of the biggest users of CB's and many if not all CB shops were located at or near truck stops.That's a fact I can attest to from driving trucks over 30 years myself. Now they are few and far between.

Now a days, Many drivers don't own one or hardly ever turn it on if they do. Today's trucks are mostly speed governed so no need to watch for "smokey bear" (except for those 55 MPH communist states), and most trucks have electronic logs so no need to ask if the " chicken coops are open" more drivers use GPS so no need to ask "break 19 for local info".

The company I drive for has over 150 trucks based in Phoenix and I can easily count 40 or more trucks without a CB. Other forms of entertainment has succeeded the CB with today's drivers. The others I asked why they don't turn it on and the most common answer is they are sick of all the idiot base stations shooting skip blaring across what should be the calling frequency that is Channel 19 jamming the frequency up. That's pretty much a direct quote. That should make plenty of you guys out there proud who do exactly that.

Then there is the influx, if not taking over the trucking industry, all the foreigners from Europe, India, and Asia driving trucks who can careless about what a CB is. Then one day soon NAFTA will be fully implemented but at least I have seen many Mexican trucks using CB radios. Don't believe me? look at the reefer trucks with california and British Columbia plates, Majority of them drivers are Sikh's from India, no they are not arabs just because they wear turbans! Look at the trucks with plates from Illinois, New York, New Jersey, those drivers are from all over former Soviet block countries like Bosnia, Ukraine, Armenia, etc. hardly the CB radio truck driving stereo -type from years gone by.

I hope your parked somewhere safe or better yet at home!

I hope your parked somewhere safe or better yet at home!

Doo, doo, doo - lookin' out my, back door!

Just listening on the scanner. Was kinda HOPIN' some 4x4's might be out sno-wheelin', at the least. I'm TEMPTED to go out and fire up my old RC (I don't drive it in snow & salt ANYMORE - it was too hard saving it the FIRST time around. Got a Jeep XK for that!), just to try & INSTIGATE some conversation. Oh well... :rolleyes:

27" of the white stuff on the yard stick in Montgomery County PA this morning.

There were a bunch of folks on CB base stations last night in my area. Some that I haven't heard in months were on. Amazing what 2 foot + of snow will do to get folks on the air when they're all coupe'd up (y)

bLt45W0.jpg

Fourstringburn nailed it. It is mostly dead on the cb even around busy truck stops and cities. Most of the guys are yakking on their phone. They won't even pick up the mic to tell you of a hazard in front of you. It is one of the many reasons I really want to get out from behind the wheel. To put it midly there are a lot of jack wagons driving trucks nowadays. There a few that still run their radios but many don't even have a cb in their truck. Nowadays I hope there is skip conditions so I'll have something to listen to rather then music or talk radio.

Last edited:
just saw on the news the 15+ hour backup on the turnpike, lots of dual fiberglass whips on those stationary semi's.

Had I gone out to my mobile, sitting on top of a ridge south of the city, at 1,200' above seal level - with my Galaxy 949, "juicer," and 102" steel whip, I MIGHT have heard 'em.

As it was, I was comfy with my Redd's apple ale, & watching my wife shovel snow. I got 'er trained GOOD! :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.