• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solar Cycle 25

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Good afternoon Radio Friends, just read a article on the website www.chron.com concerning the solar Cycle, basically in a nutshell, scientist's are now saying that the current cycle could be at the maximum by this year's end of 2023, a full 2 years earlier than its projected or should be,so to speak, should be interesting to watch and see how this plays out on the 11 meter's and DX Propagation and so forth................

73's
Screenshot_20230702-120407.png

i don't put much stock in that website. science has neverbbeen able to accurately predict solar output. usually when they do, they get it wrong. just have to play the cards 1 day at a time and learn all the history of past cycles. the health of our degrading magnetosphere is the side of the conversation rarely discussed.

I read that, too. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I do know this cycle, so far, has been pretty weak by comparison to any others I've experienced. I'm not on the radio as much as I have been before, but when I can, the pickings are mostly slim to none. On all bands of interest to me, at least.
There have been contacts, but not like it should be by comparison.
It gets old working the bands from 20m thru 6m at any time of the day or night tossing out my call to dead silence. Each contact is a rarity.
For me, cycle 25 is the pits... so far.

I read that, too. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I do know this cycle, so far, has been pretty weak by comparison to any others I've experienced. I'm not on the radio as much as I have been before, but when I can, the pickings are mostly slim to none. On all bands of interest to me, at least.
There have been contacts, but not like it should be by comparison.
It gets old working the bands from 20m thru 6m at any time of the day or night tossing out my call to dead silence. Each contact is a rarity.
For me, cycle 25 is the pits... so far.
It hasn't been weak per say. The problem is the sun has just been Firing off solar flares and storms non stop and its completely ruining radio propagation. Even right now we are in storm conditions with no propagation.

It hasn't been weak per say. The problem is the sun has just been Firing off solar flares and storms non stop and its completely ruining radio propagation. Even right now we are in storm conditions with no propagation.

Makes sense.
OTOH, 'sun' spots effect the conditions that promote propagation, and the 'sun' (solar) storms are effecting the conditions that are stifling propagation. So, I, unfortunately, still find this solar cycle to be terrible so far for radio.
When -if- it gets better before it ends l will be a happier camper.

Last edited:
The DX was pretty good this past spring, and I suspect that it will pick up again this fall. It seems that for the past few years, it has always died down during the summer. I am not sure if this is normal for the peak of the cycle or not. During the last cycle, I didn't even know what the cycle was. The last cycle, we had everyone talking at the same time and on every channel. It was just like when I was a kid in the 70s so I thought it was a normal, all the time thing.

I sure have learned a lot during the few short years I have been here, thanks to everyone for making this a great place to learn and grow!

Chris

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.