• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

[Solved] Raspy receive for some stations on a President Jackson CB.

doffo

Oct 14, 2012
Hello everyone,

Got a President Jackson that has some kind of a receive issue. Some stations sound very raspy, while some other stations sound ok. It seems that the stronger stations that come in suffer the problem with the raspy receive on the radio. Same thing was kinda happening on my mobile President Grant 858 chassis with the receive audio. Otherwise, the stations all sound ok on my Grant 146 GTL.

This a sign of capacitors on their way out? Letting the radio warm up for awhile to see if the receive seems to clear up better and not have the raspy sounding stations. But so far, it seems that the stronger stations coming in are the ones that are raspy on the receive audio.

I included 2 videos of what I mean.

View attachment President Jackson Bad Audio 1.mp4
View attachment President Jackson Bad Audio 2.mp4

It is famous bad AGC on Jackson.

1. Change R-43 10k to 1k
2. Change R-41 150k to 270k
3. Change R-47 1.50k to 3.9k
4. Remove capacitor C-31.
Aha! I always wondered about that. I will get to working on it and report back to ya. :) Thanks for the quick reply.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Sp5it.... I have a friend who's brand new Lincoln 2+ has that exact same AGC problem. Is it the same board as the Jackson and do the same component changes happen to remedy the problem in the Lincoln 2+ as well ?

Sp5it.... I have a friend who's brand new Lincoln 2+ has that exact same AGC problem. Is it the same board as the Jackson and do the same component changes happen to remedy the problem in the Lincoln 2+ as well ?
The Jackson above is 40+ years old with thru hole construction not related to today's offering.
Uniden was well aware of the problem in the jack and never addressed it at the manufacturing level.

Jeff

Reactions: doffo
Thanks Jeff ! I kinda figured they would be different beasts. 40 years and they still have that problem..... good grief.
Do you know if there is a fix out there for the Lincoln 2+ AGC problem ? I'm guessing it might be all SMT stuff. Ugh....my hands are a little too old and clumsy for that stuff !

I have a Lincoln 2+ with the same problem, I revived an old thread about it.

Thanks Jeff ! I kinda figured they would be different beasts. 40 years and they still have that problem..... good grief.
Do you know if there is a fix out there for the Lincoln 2+ AGC problem ? I'm guessing it might be all SMT stuff. Ugh....my hands are a little too old and clumsy for that stuff !
Not that I know of, reducing the rf gain helped on the one I had.
There were a couple Lincoln II models , I had one of the first versions that had dismal rx and i returned it. Then a version 2, then the + model that included 12 meters.
a
Almost everything is smt nowadays really need a hot air station if you are old and fat fingered like me......

Jeff

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.