• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sounds logical. Agree or disagree?

Manual tuners do have a profound effect on receive. I always just thought a long wire in the air would work pretty good as a receiver antenna. Once I attached an antenna tuner and got it closer to "Resonance" the RF receive level increased. On 80 meters with the tuner way off of the discovered settings I could not hear anything at all. As I tuned it up I could hear transmissions that I did not hear before.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Manual tuners do have a profound effect on receive. I always just thought a long wire in the air would work pretty good as a receiver antenna. Once I attached an antenna tuner and got it closer to "Resonance" the RF receive level increased. On 80 meters with the tuner way off of the discovered settings I could not hear anything at all. As I tuned it up I could hear transmissions that I did not hear before.

Yes but in that case the tuner was actually attenuating signals off-resonance. Try peaking the tuner and then simply switching it out of line or bypassing it. There will be some difference in signals but not nearly as dramatic as when the tuner is in-line but far from a matched condition.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Sadly not everybody that post about tuners or passes on common knowledge over the air have read the ARRL publications or Walt Maxwells "reflections" & "another look at reflections" or other respected publications,

The folk that have tend to not agree with the idea of tuners fooling anything, The only part of your station that can be fooled is the operator.

"Tuners fool the fools that believe tuners only fool the radio" is almost as easy to remember as "tuners only fool the radio"

The former requires an explanation whereas the latter does not so its spreads like soft butter on a hot loaf.

Captain Kilowatt, I had the wire up first then added the tuner.
If any thing the tuner might have acted as a noise filter.

The tuners I use do the same thing. They act as high a pass filter. When I tune for 20 meters I can only hear strong signals on 40 and nothing on 80. If I tune for 80 I can hear on 40 and 20 but there is some attenuation..especially on 20 and down.

The same thing happens when i use my CB antenna with a t-match on the upper portion of HF. I can bypass the tuner and hear 160 through 10 on the same pieces of wire or The 11 meter antenna.

The next balanced tuner I build will be the "balanced balanced antenna tuner" in Richard Measures article. I should be able to listen to multiple bands with that.

Reactions: Tallman
The tuners I use do the same thing. They act as high a pass filter. When I tune for 20 meters I can only hear strong signals on 40 and nothing on 80. If I tune for 80 I can hear on 40 and 20 but there is some attenuation..especially on 20 and down.
bob85,
Observation is the key to learning. Those that choose not observe can not learn even from those who do.

A quick BING search yielded the following result : http://www.eham.net/articles/29848

Last edited:
That's why I addressed it to bob85. He was referring the both of us as fools.

Oh, I get it now. I didn't take his post as if he was calling me a fool. I think he and I are on the same page as for as tuners go. I was confused when you quoted me and addressed him.

I don't use a tuner to fool anything. I use it so that I can work multiple bands with the same antenna, my radio can transmit into the 50 ohm match it was designed for and not have a dozen mono band antennas.

Look at a 5/8 wave antenna. It's not resonant so some kind of matching device has to be used. That matching device is making the antenna work but not really fooling anything. That would be like saying the pi network in a tube amp is fooling the tube.

Reactions: bob85 and N0NB
...Look at a 5/8 wave antenna. It's not resonant so some kind of matching device has to be used. That matching device is making the antenna work but not really fooling anything....

Gee, I dunno what you mean by "work"(n)

All that the matching device is doing is allowing the exciter to deliver its power to the load.

it doesn't matter (within reason) what the SWR is, ALL the transmitters power will be radiated.

...Look at a 5/8 wave antenna. It's not resonant so some kind of matching device has to be used. That matching device is making the antenna work but not really fooling anything....

All that the matching device is doing is allowing the exciter to deliver its power to the load.

it doesn't matter (within reason) what the SWR is, ALL the transmitters power will be radiated.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.