• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Spanish Skip?

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
I have heard how great the conditions are for the past several days but all I have heard is spanish skip, even on the super bowl channel. Today is the first day I have heard english on the radio in sometime now.. Conditions aren't very good right now but I hope they improve so I can make some contacts on 11 meters.

What you are hearing is more than likely Texas. No one in Texas speaks English anymore.

Get used to that. It will be about ten thousand times worse in a year or two. There used to be a kind of unspoken arrangement in the freeband that 27.410-27.620 or so was mostly english, while everything above 620 up to 28.000 was spanish or other non-english like portugese. Also, english speakers tended to use LSB, while spanish was more on the USB. The english speakers have always followed this better than the spanish speakers, who are likely to be just about anywhere anymore. 27.455 USB appears to be a spanish speaking call freq of sorts, just like 27.555 USB tends to be an english speaker's call channel.

glad im not the only one hearing them on the air, , its been just crazy up here in minnesota, from the time i turn the radio on it was loud until about 2 hours ago, it was bad to the point i couldnt here a couple of locals up here, but hopefully we can get some good conditions again and be able to get out there on the air again, we take every bit we can around here since its few and farbetween, but when we do get skip we are all happy about it,,,, and one other thing, what is their deal with all the noise toys :headbang, i had a noise toy in my radio for about a month when i first go it, then i took it out, oh well i guess they kust like them alot , who knows, any ways yall have a good night,,,,mark

They speak a Mexican version of Spainsh in Mexico. I think that nat19 was referring to to the fact that he wanted Mexican skip to stop so that he would no longer hear the roger beeps. That is what I understood.

I heard the roger beeps from Mexico today as well - and whenever north/south skip occurs. In Mexico, they use the regular 33-40 channel range for AM usage - not SSB. Those roger beeps can get on anyone's nerve quickly when on SSB - IMO. For that matter - even on AM...

man, they sure do love the musical toys down south dont they? LOL

to each his own i guess. I find the south american skip hilarious to listen to.
i dont speak much spanish, but its still fun.

many of them do speak english, at least a little bit, so dont be afraid to key up and talk to them. chances are, if they are hitting you with 7-9 S-units, they will hear you just fine.

also, dont forget that many taxis in south america use CB radio to communicate with the dispatcher and eachother.

if the south american skip is killing you, you can always put up a horizontal dipole facing east and west.

just make sure you put it up horizontally and not as an inverted V, as they tend to get more omnidirectional when you slope the elements down.

LC

Yea I was just hoping for the roger beeps to dissapear not the acual person LOL. I am sorry I made it sound so wrong. I guess It was just texas, and as of right now I don't hear any more spanish people with roger beeps so I'm happy.

You basically have to learn to live with it. It is fun to try to get them to talk to you in english. What I do is say some mexican slang until I get their attention, then ask if they speak any english. Most of them know enough to exchange a little info and so forth. They are a lot less annoying when you realize that they are just having a good time like we all do.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned