• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Radio Question

jbo

Sep 27, 2005
Oscoda MI
Looking at getting a ssb radio, want more options than the AM one I currently use. Looking for opinions on what is good, I have it pretty much narrowed down to cobra 148gtl or uniden grant xl, but am open to any suggestions or comments you may have.

Also, what kind of range can you typically get out of a radio on one of the sidebands. Would like to be able to talk about 15 miles.

get a lincoln with a chip switch if you dont talk on am much. if talk a lot of am get the ones mentioned in the previous reply. oh yeah i guess we should ask if it's going to be mobile or base and what are you currently running for a rig and antenna? 10 - 15 miles should be no problem now? 8)
oh by the way welcome to one of the best radio forum on the net. 73 hope to work ya on the air

you have chosen 2 great radios there..if you can get your hands on a Grant XL OR Grant LT that would be a good choice.they both are the same and have great tx and rx.you can get 15 miles depends on your antenna system.i would say 80 percent is your antenna and 20 percent your radio..

If you can find an older cobra 148gtl or Grant XL / LT, those are great. The Grant and the older 148 are really the same radio (look for the 148 with the mic plug on the side). The Uniden 2510 / Lincoln / 2600 are all great radios too, although some find them hard to use. I'd try to stay away from the newer 148's. IMO the galaxy, ranger, magnum radios out today aren't nearly as nice as the 148 / Grant radios.

It is going to be mobile and I am running a wilson 500 antenna right now. I can currently talk about 7 miles with my uniden pc76xl that I use, but would like to talk further, also not many locals with radios here so I would like to reach out to different areas.

radio

then i would get a wilson 2000 and mount it on the spare tire rack on the back (if u hav e one) or go with the wilson 1000 mag mount , rci 2950dx or the 2970 dx are really good radios, anything made by galaxy with ssb like the 99v , 88v, 95T are great radios aswell

Re:looking into SSB

If you're not interested in modifcations, the Uniden PC-122xl is a nice small rig with very good tx audio from the stock microphone.

Uniden Grant, Grant XL, Grant LT, President Grant - can't go wrong.

Robyn SB-510D - nicel looking and talking rig

get rid of the 500 and get a 1000or a 2000, just with radio you have you will notice an improvement. if your not interested in the extras,freqs. fm, i would go with a 148 or the grant. if you want a great ssb rig i would go with a 2510 or lincoln with a chipswitch you will be spoiled. if am is going to be your thing then a galaxy or a ranger or one of the magnums. also how deep are those pockets?
I have a 500 and a pro 510 that we keep in the other half vehicle for when we travel the 500 is deaf compared to the 1000. decisions decisions, all i can say is once youv'e been bitten by the dx bug the quest for the best never ends. ask any of the guys out there, they like me have probably tried more radios than most shops stock at one time. good luck hope to hear ya on the air. 73 :D :D 8)

All I can say is, that I've owned three radios in my time.... a Cobra 29ltd and two President Lincolns. I love the Lincolns the best. I ran the Cobra peaked and tuned with a D-104 lollipop mike and a Super Penatrater antenna and talked 50-60 miles no sweat. If you really want distance go with the SSB, no matter what radio you decide to go with. Good luck and I'm sorry you've been bitten. Welcome to our nightmare.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.