• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Starting a new yagi today

Oh, that was the Coors Lite ground plane!

I found that I left the beam set at 40 degrees most of the time since EU is my main interest. Not sure whether I'll do another rotary beam for 20 without a tower. I'm considering a switched 2 element vertical array- either Christman phased or a simpler switched reversible yagi or delta loop array. Not sure yet, depends on how much time I'll have for radio and what I can do with the space I have in the backyard-- staying away from powerlines and my 80/40 dipole.

The end fed half wave vertical may be put back up in the meantime since it performed well, I have some poly dielectric coax to make a new tuning cap, and the cost would be zero.

Oh, that was the Coors Lite ground plane!

I found that I left the beam set at 40 degrees most of the time since EU is my main interest. Not sure whether I'll do another rotary beam for 20 without a tower. I'm considering a switched 2 element vertical array- either Christman phased or a simpler switched reversible yagi or delta loop array. Not sure yet, depends on how much time I'll have for radio and what I can do with the space I have in the backyard-- staying away from powerlines and my 80/40 dipole.
I'm sure you'll figure it out. I keep revisiting the idea of a rotatable beam, but like you, I seem to hesitate.
The end fed half wave vertical may be put back up in the meantime since it performed well, I have some poly dielectric coax to make a new tuning cap, and the cost would be zero.
Perhaps you can share this tuning cap info with me. Specs on everything . . .
I would be interested.

Homer

Sure-- here's the one I used originally, you probably remember this thread:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-radio-antennas/33237-end-fed-1-2-wave-vertical.html

This is a good website that has several examples of L/C parallel circuits to match 50 ohms to high Z feedpoints:

Bobtail Tuning Network Design

I think I mentioned it in my thread (it's been a while), but the foam dielectric couldn't handle the RF voltage with the amp. I've also used coax capacitors in gamma matches, they work great provided you don't use foam coax!

Rick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.