• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

STICK WITH 5'-6' FRANCES FIBERGLASS WHIP OR 102'' STEEL WHIP

HITEK-REDNEK

HITEK-REDNEK
Nov 21, 2010
Columbus,Oh.
Hello fellow cb'ers I'm thinking about getting a steel whip but I don't know if it will get me better tx/rx or not my frances tx/rx is pretty good now just wanting to be the loudest on the block right. I'm playing on a galaxy 949 with a blue face galaxy 225 that d/k 60-110 watts and swings 110-315 watts lo,med,high according to my local cb tech so any thoughts will help me with knowing if it will be worth the $20 or so for the 102'' steel whip thanks guy's.:unsure:

I would imagine that there will be some difference between those antennas. I also think that difference isn't going to be 'huge' by any means, and have no idea if it would be worth the small difference to you, or not. I only know of one way to tell the difference and that's gonna cost you about $20 and some time. Wanna see what differences there are? Do it. Don't feel like it? Don't 'waste' a lot of worry on it.
- 'Doc

I want to thank you guys for your thoughts and advice I will just keep the francis whip the gain dont sound like it would be worth the $20 but is there another antenna that would be better for rx/tx then the francis whip? Looking forward to all of your thoughts and opinions.

Sure, easy! A full sized 1/2 wave, or 5/8 wave, or .64 wave. Any of them would be better than a 5 - 6 foot loaded antenna. Not very practical on a mobile, but noticeably better.
- 'Doc

I want to thank you guys for your thoughts and advice I will just keep the francis whip the gain dont sound like it would be worth the $20 but is there another antenna that would be better for rx/tx then the francis whip? Looking forward to all of your thoughts and opinions.

102" whip placed on the center of your roof is the best mobile performer.

However, it's kinda ridiculous! Not quite as ridiculous as the suggest 5/8 wave though. :laugh:

id say both
frances fore drive around town antenna ..ect
102 for skip shooting ..ect
ive always had best of luck with dx and local using the 102
however wasnt always practial antenna. if nothing else
the 102 will handle way more power than the frances

So is really worth the few bucks and time or not I'm a little confused some of you so not really the other half say yes I'm just not for sure now damn it man what to do. I do thank you all of you so far and for the future advice.:eek:

It is not going to make so much of a difference as to make you stand up to and shout about it.
What model of Francis whip are you running now, and where do you have it mounted?
Unless it is mounted in a bad location like a bumper mount.......

Jeff

I'm not for sure of the model # or model name it is black with a red tip bought it from my local cb shop the only one he had that would clear my cab roof line it is above the roof line about 1'-1.5' and yes it is on a home made bumper mount 1/16'' steel bolted to the bottom bumper bolt like I said I have pretty good rx/tx with the francis but if I could be a little better for a few bucks then I would do it.THANKS FOR THE HELP.

well its really hard to say honestly. cause theres no one setup fits all
with cb antennas. location plays a part also. so lets say ya mount
the 5ft on the roof. and the 102 inch whip on the bumper
id bet the the one the roof will do BETTER simply cause
its at the highest point of the vehicle.now ya take that
102 mount it on the roof it should do slightly better.
biggest difference will be the further away u get from
someone. for instance 20-30 miles the 102 would start
to shine. also on skip [dx] the whip might be better.
locally 5-10 miles whatever ya doing noiw they might
see a small difference.if you have the extra cash for the 20
buck whip id say its worth a try.just my opinion.if not try
moving antenna to roof . u might be surprised

I would use the 20 bucks to get the antenna up in the air, bumper mounts do work but they are the least desirable mounting location.
Post hole mount......on the inside corner of the bed.....top of the cab is best, but that is not for everyone.
I have a 9 foot whip mounted to a rack that is above my cab, but i live up in the hills and do not care if it beat`s the crap out of stuff.

Jeff

I would think you would be getting alot of reflect off the tailgate with it on the bumper. I would do as suggested and put it on the top inside corner of the bed. It might not make a huge difference in tx/rx but your equipment will like better in the long run.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hello guys and thanks for all of your thoughts and opinions I cant put it in side the bed I have a hard tonneau cover on my truck and it sets up to high to have one on the roof of the cab I had a mag mount wilson 5000 on to start it kept hitting shit and falling off and scratching the hell out off my truck that really made me mad I have alot of money invested in my truck I love my truck just a little less then my wife lol so thats why I fabed a mount to contour the shape of my bumper and put it on the far left corner of it so far to the left that it all most sticks off to the side.I have been checking around and I have found out that I need a 108'' whip not a 102'' or use a 102'' and put a 6'' spacer to make it a 108'' to gain a full 1/4 wave antenna so thats what I'm gona do I just have'nt figured out a way to make a spacer that will look good and not like a thrown together piece of copper pipe on a mount so once I get this figured out and fab it I will post some pics and get everones thoughts so if I dont speak to you folks before Christmas have a merry Christmas and a happy new year be safe in your travels and we will talk to you on the flip.

Anytime you get your entire antenna above the roof line it will improve your setup. Anytime you get the antenna in the center of you mobile, say the roof, it will improve your setup. Neither of these will require buying a SS whip, but may require buying a large magnet mount to put your 5' Francis into the roof center.
A cheap Walmart antenna will do better than itself on the roof center than on the bumper on a metal riser. A Francis will do better than itself on the roof than off center to the vehicle with 3 1/2' of the 5' antenna below the roof line. At the present location you may see improvement from the 102" whip simply because more antenna is above the roof line, however, a 1/4ƛ antenna is said to produce most of its signal from the lower part of the vertical element. If so, even the longer whip will be hampered from its best potential by having 3 1/2' below the automobile cab,
Smarter folks than me may want to add something to this, or correct any incorrect info.

Oops. By the time i got back to this and hit the pot all said was old news. Oh, well.

I had the same problem with roof mounted antennas on magnets, so I did this:

0109.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.