• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sticking relay???

Rob-220

Oct 20, 2008
I recently purchaced a kl 203 linear amplifier and seem to have a problem.
I inject a carrier of 5 watts, hear the relay close but it will not release when i let go of the ptt, unless i power the amp down from its toggle switch. Do you think it is a fault within the amp. The transiever is not leaking any rf with the ptt released.

Regards Rob.

Certainly sounds like the relay is 'latching', doesn't it? Unless you're very familiar with the circuit, a schematic sure comes in handy...
- 'Doc

If the carrier doesn't drop out when you release the key then the thing is self oscillating and that eats it.

rm sng klv amps are bad for trouble. but any way do u get proper output? try less than 5 watts like 2. also change jumper length ive seen that with palomar 600 amps hope this helps

I recently purchaced a kl 203 linear amplifier and seem to have a problem.
I inject a carrier of 5 watts, hear the relay close but it will not release when i let go of the ptt, unless i power the amp down from its toggle switch. Do you think it is a fault within the amp. The transiever is not leaking any rf with the ptt released.

Regards Rob.

What's the length of the jumper coax? Sometimes if you increase the jumper length, it will solve the problem.

Isn't 5 watts a bit much input for that amp? Justin showed me a trick once of installing a diode across the relay to prevent a "spike back" effect. That's not what he called it, but you get the idea, LOL. That spike back that can happen on the initial contact can make them go bad over time. It sounds like it's time to replace the relay in yours.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.