• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Storm Killed my Quad.

Well, I can tell you this, I have a stack of LFA yagis on 6 meters. When I had one up, it was susceptible to precipitation static. The driven element on an LFA is a 1 wavelength closed loop, similar to a quad. Ironically, when I had static on the 6 meter loop, the 2 meter LFA had none.

I am not the only one who has reported this phenomenon. I have not had the stack of 2 yagis up long enough to tell if the static is still there.

NOTE that in W8JI's explanation of why a quad CAN be quieter is NOT BECAUSE IT"S A CLOSED LOOP. It is because of other reasons.

Attachments

• 6LFASTA2.jpg
    6LFASTA2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 148
The quads are quieter not because of being DC grounded as many suspect.

The reason is do to the way a quad is fed, the high current area of the quad is along the center of the strait edge and not on a high angle point or corner.

Also a yagi can have the same gain as a quad element for element, unless your keeping the spacing the same. A quad has more gain on smaller booms compared to yagis.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users