• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 voltage drop when keying

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
I remember when researching the forum that there was some posts about the Stryker 955hpc having a large voltage drop when keying the mic. Well, I also noticed this recently on mine. The volts on my home base setup was according to the Stryker display 14.1V, this dropped to about 12.5V or less recently, even got a low voltage beep error which ceases transmission on anything below a certain voltage ( forgot what mines set to ).

Well, it turns out its to do with the PSU that the 955hpc is connected to, I have a dedicated 30a 12vdc psu which is supposed to run 4 12v fans and the Stryker radio, I figured 30A would be fine for radio and 4 fans.

Long story short, I connected the stryker directly to my 75A psu and upon keying the mic the voltage drops only a mere 0.3 or 0.4V as opposed to 1.6-2v before.

EDIT. It was not the actual 30A PSU causing the voltage drop. It was either A: the cigar 12v 3pin power cable connected to B: the 12v cigar recepitcal connected to PSU. Either A or B. Was causing Volt drop. Since using the original 3 pin power cord to the same PSU all works fine.

Last edited:

I remember when researching the forum that there was some posts about the Stryker 955hpc having a large voltage drop when keying the mic. Well, I also noticed this recently on mine. The volts on my home base setup was according to the Stryker display 14.1V, this dropped to about 12.5V or less recently, even got a low voltage beep error which ceases transmission on anything below a certain voltage ( forgot what mines set to ).

Well, it turns out its to do with the PSU that the 955hpc is connected to, I have a dedicated 30a 12vdc psu which is supposed to run 4 12v fans and the Stryker radio, I figured 30A would be fine for radio and 4 fans.

Long story short, I connected the stryker directly to my 75A psu and upon keying the mic the voltage drops only a mere 0.3 or 0.4V as opposed to 1.6-2v before.

EDIT. It was not the actual 30A PSU causing the voltage drop. It was either A: the cigar 12v 3pin power cable connected to B: the 12v cigar recepitcal connected to PSU. Either A or B. Was causing Volt drop. Since using the original 3 pin power cord to the same PSU all works fine.
Yes, for any radio requiring more than 2.5 amps those cigarette power plug cords are garbage, they will choke off the voltage, and get warm!

Get rid of both A and B i.h.m.o., you want a solid connection, hard, wires soldered or crimped and bolted in place, no goofy cheap-ass sealed plastic junk, with "G*d-knows-what" for internal connections..

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
Yes, for any radio requiring more than 2.5 amps those cigarette power plug cords are garbage, they will choke off the voltage, and get warm!

Get rid of both A and B i.h.m.o., you want a solid connection, hard, wires soldered or crimped and bolted in place, no goofy cheap-ass sealed plastic junk, with "G*d-knows-what" for internal connections..

The reason why I set it up like this , was ease of moving the radio to truck from homebase station. I figured the 955 doesnt require that much current , hence the cigar plug option would or could have worked for ease of mobility as I have 8 AWG with anderson hardwired in truck for the other radio.
So do you think its the 12v socket connected to the home power supply or the 3 pin cigar plug or both?

The reason why I set it up like this , was ease of moving the radio to truck from homebase station. I figured the 955 doesnt require that much current , hence the cigar plug option would or could have worked for ease of mobility as I have 8 AWG with anderson hardwired in truck for the other radio.
So do you think its the 12v socket connected to the home power supply or the 3 pin cigar plug or both?
One or the other, maybe both; I lean towards it being both, the weak point is (possibly) where the two pieces come together.

Anderson power pole is the way to go, get one for the base power supply!(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
mine drops voltage according to the radio. connected direct to the power supply. i emailed stryker they told me that was normal. don't sound normal to me. i have it set to 14 volts key the mic it drops to 12.5 volts

mine drops voltage according to the radio. connected direct to the power supply. i emailed stryker they told me that was normal. don't sound normal to me. i have it set to 14 volts key the mic it drops to 12.5 volts
What is the max amps on your supply Jon666?
A regulated power supply shouldn't fluctuate much, unless the current demand is too high for the desired voltage.

Last edited:
no im using the full cable. i have not cut it shorter yet.
of course i was having issues with that p.s i have not tried it on the new p.s yet

no im using the full cable. i have not cut it shorter yet.
of course i was having issues with that p.s i have not tries it on the new p.s yet
10-4, ya might find with the new supply that is doesn't drop as much, and the shorter the power cable the better i.m.o. but I understand it is much easier to shorten the wire, than to re-extend it, so yeah I can see why you haven't shortened 'em up yet. (y)

I once had 6 feet of power lead, using a little Pyramid PS-4K, after I shortened the leads to 2 feet, the radio (29 LTD) worked much better (on the same power supply) virtually no voltage drop; I found that with the entire length of wire used, some of the power supply potential was being wasted. The current demands brought out by the radio during transmit, will be better suited by shorter power leads.

Last edited:
Mine was dropping exactly to the same sort of figures. Perhaps see if you can use a different psu source?

yeah i bought a new megawatt 400 ps. the old one was causing clicking noise in my kenwood. so i contacted megawatt. he offered me a new one for half price. just have not hooked up the stryker to it yet. i tossed the old one in the trash. new ps no more clicking noises.thanks for the help guys

Reactions: Limeybastard

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.