• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR-490 Meter turns RED

macado

Nov 22, 2008
I just bought a 490 frm Ebay and the manuel is no help. I hooked up an external swr/watt meter and checked my antenna. My swr is below 1.5. The power meter swing is well over 120 plus, max for the meter. The meter on the radio only sayes 30. My radio meter fried? The main question is the radio meter light turns red when I key. Is this TX mode or is it a problem. Not sure what the AWI Flasher does when it has a problem. Anyone give me some info on this. Thanks.

If I remember correctly, on that radio, if the meter turns red and/or the AWI flasher goes on, it means that the radio is detecting a high swr condition. If your external meter shows that it's OK, I would take that meter out of line and plug directly to the radio and see what happens. It's possible that either the meter has a problem or the jumper between the radio and meter has bad connectors. If that doesn't help, try running the radio into a dummy load with a coax jumper that you know is good. If it still gives you that warning, then perhaps the person that owned the radio before you messed with it and you need to send it off for repairs.

Thanks for the reply

I'm going to try a new coax and see what happens and my external meter went off the charts after the radio was on for a while. Going to check meter with other radio and go frm there. Since the Stryker didn't have a TX lite I thought the meter light might be it. I'm new to the forum and by no means a tech. Thanks for the info.

Meter turns red on TX and if the switich is turned on,(back of radio) and the swr is to high, it still turns red and flashes.

stryker radios dont have a on/off for the swr warning ...the meter on the radio will FLASH when your swr is high.. as far as the meter goes you might be able to adjust the meter on the radio to match your bench meter ..i have 2 different strykers and they kickass..goodluck with the meter problem

Actually the older ones had the switch on the back for the flasher. However the meter turns red while tx and the meters are very inaccurate and don't meter pep. I called stryker and that's what they told me at least.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.