• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR-955 high carrier with variable all the way closed.. only on AM ..

fernan_01

Mar 10, 2011
I recently got a stryker 955 with an issue that only happens when selected to AM. With the RF power all the way closed the radio is showing 14w and that's with the am low pwr variable (w1)set to minimum. on all other modes it works fine and I'm able to control the output like its supposed to. q55 was replaced. collector of q55 reads 4v with the variable all the way closed on AM. on FM and SSB reads less than a volt. Any help or ideas would be appreciate it.
thanks 73's

Sounds to me like the W10 AManl is out of adjustment. Don't ask me the testicle terms because i'm not a tech and don't claim to be. BUT, On one of my old Yaesus there was a drive knob that would determine the ratio of swing to carrier. I think the ANL in Strykers works the same way. You need to get the happy medium between the carrier and the amount of swing the radio produced. I set three of these Strykers up and it took me a while to get the feel of what was happening. You have to find a good compromise. I was able to get mine to key at 3 watts carrier on low, and wide open carrier is 20. On high, during modulation it will peak at about 95W PEP. I CAN get 130W out of it, but then my carrier won't drop. It's very touchy, but after you play with a bit you'll see how it works.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
To my understanding the AM low power variable W1 is shared with FM. On FM I’m able to lower the dead key to 1W … W10 and w501 are AM modulation.. thanks for the reply. I’m still trying to figure this out

To my understanding the AM low power variable W1 is shared with FM. On FM I’m able to lower the dead key to 1W … W10 and w501 are AM modulation.. thanks for the reply. I’m still trying to figure this out

Yes and no. After doing a few of these I've noticed that W10 ( ANL) is more of a relationship between PEP and carrier. I had to work both the AM hi and the W10 ANL to get what I wanted. I never even had to touch 501 or W1. The three that I have set up are all between 2 and 3 Watt carrier on low and over 20 on hi. Also, with the proper ANL setting, I now have 40Wpep on low, and near 100W pep on hi.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.