• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stuck and need some opinions

Jay420

Dec 12, 2016
OK so here it is I just got a galaxy melaka for Xmas to find out I can't put a antenna up or tower in my townhouse complex so I was thinking on getting a good mobile antenna and running it out of my garage and mounting it on my car as if it were being used as a mobile. Should this be OK and I'm thing on the sirio 5000 for antenna

Yes perfectly OK if the vehicle is parked outside. There doesn't have to be any electrical connection between the car the antenna is sat on and the radio other than of course the coax from the magmount. You don't have to power the radio from the car battery and can use a separate mains PSU if you wish.

Reactions: LeapFrog
May want to park the car as far from the building as possible. Trying to adjust SWR near a building or other items like trees and other vehicles could prove tricky. You really want to tune the antenna away from all that stuff.

I pull up near my house all the time in the mobile, but try to stay at least 50' away if I want decent 360 degree coverage. If you're right up against the building your signal could be directional and/or diminished.

I'd jam a green spray bombed Imax 2000 antenna in a near by tree and bury the coax :cool:

Any trees nearby? Any outside patio? Any pictures of the front & back yard?

Thanks for all the information guys but to save a lot of Hassel I sold my base unit and bought a mobile
Wilson 5000
On a 2000 grand prix gt 4 door with sunroof

Reactions: hotrod
When I was 17 and had moved into my 1st apartment, I built and installed a Penetrator 15' from the sidewalk, inside a small cluster of 15' - 20' or so tall newly planted trees in the middle of the lawn & 10' from the main entryway, right on the ground on a 2' pipe I hammered 10" into the ground, but without ground radials.

The SWR was a liveable 1.6:1 but it dropped to 1.3 when I added one 9' length of 14ga wire under the lawn by using a flat edged shovel, same way I got the coax up to my patio, opening a small trough and pushing it down several inches into the lawn dirt - all done under the cover of darkness, lol.

It stayed there for 4 months until I relocated and when I asked the Mgr if she minded the antenna, she said, "What antenna!?" - lol. - She drove by it a hundred times but never even noticed.

They've grown a bit since 1977, the white birch on the far right, directly in front of the patio wall.
streetview

Thanks for all the information guys but to save a lot of Hassel I sold my base unit and bought a mobile
Wilson 5000
On a 2000 grand prix gt 4 door with sunroof
mount the antenna on the trunk and ya do fine with that setup. i had ame setup years ago worked very well

Or place antenna back as far as you can on roof, making sure sunroof clears when opened fully. This should give you enough room to place the magnet mount if that is what you got. If you went with a hard mount, do the same.
This will keep the antenna base above the roof line and still provide a lot of metal under it. You might be a little directional, but not enough to be an issue.
I would do this instead of trunk mounting the Wilson antenna. But that is just me. It's up to you where you place the antenna. If you got a magnet mount, try it both ways and see which works better as far as tuning and receive and transmit range. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: Jay420

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.