• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

stupidstar 4900b

ajm1571

Sep 27, 2006
Fountain, MI
OK I posted about the problem i had with it an someone said hook it to a 12v PS an it will solve my problem...well hooked it up to 12v PS an still does the same damn thing....grrrr.....how hard is it to change a PS? any info would greatly be appreciated!

I beginning to wonder if it aint in the speech processor or microprcessor, which r prolly the same tihng...lol
I really would like tio get it up an goin but looks like it gonna be awhile...grrrrrrrr

ajm1571 said:
OK I posted about the problem i had with it an someone said hook it to a 12v PS an it will solve my problem...well hooked it up to 12v PS an still does the same damn thing....grrrr.....how hard is it to change a PS? any info would greatly be appreciated!

What is the problem with it?

when u cross pins 3 an 5 for tx the display blanks out an when u uncross em it comes back like nuthin ever happened. Pin 6 was NEVER crossed, well not by me anyways. I was hoping it was the PS or something easy, but i have a feeling it aint nuthin easy...lol

ajm1571 said:
when u cross pins 3 an 5 for tx the display blanks out an when u uncross em it comes back like nuthin ever happened. Pin 6 was NEVER crossed, well not by me anyways. I was hoping it was the PS or something easy, but i have a feeling it aint nuthin easy...lol

Sounds to me like this rig needs to be serviced by a professional.

Bad regulator maybe?

broncoman529 said:
Can you post the problems you are having? Tell us what's been going on from start to finish. When you were talking about crossing pins are you talking about the microphone or something else? More info please!
That is the problem I am having. When u key up or cross the pins on radio mic plug to get key up, the radio goes blank. loose all display an functions. unkey or uncross wires it comes back to normal like nuthin ever happened. I am thinkin regulator also, but someone said to hook it up to 12v an it shouldnt do that. well it still does. It does look liek the PS has been changed, unless the guy at the factory did that crappy of a solder job. I was thinkin maybe it was in the TX circuit as it only does it when u key up. As in for takin it in to have it fixed, I have been told GOOD LUCK by every damn shop I have called as they have no idea what radio I am talkin about! They have either never seen one or just dont work on superstar 4900's period :evil:

ajm1571 said:
broncoman529 said:
Can you post the problems you are having? Tell us what's been going on from start to finish. When you were talking about crossing pins are you talking about the microphone or something else? More info please!
That is the problem I am having. When u key up or cross the pins on radio mic plug to get key up, the radio goes blank. loose all display an functions. unkey or uncross wires it comes back to normal like nuthin ever happened. I am thinkin regulator also, but someone said to hook it up to 12v an it shouldnt do that. well it still does. It does look liek the PS has been changed, unless the guy at the factory did that crappy of a solder job. I was thinkin maybe it was in the TX circuit as it only does it when u key up. As in for takin it in to have it fixed, I have been told GOOD LUCK by every damn shop I have called as they have no idea what radio I am talkin about! They have either never seen one or just dont work on superstar 4900's period :evil:

There are 2 regulators in that radio, I think.

I am thinking that your CPU has gone out :( And thats not good I also have one here I bought just to find out its mint appearence fooled me and left me with a burnt out CPU. The most common way this happens is people looking at the 6 bin mic and saying to themselves AWSOME MY RCI D1O4 WILL SOUND GREAT ON HERE AND ITS THER SAME WIRING!!! WRONG..... The ss4900 has a mic pin that is supplied with 13.8Volts so when the RCI mic is plugged into the ss4900b it backfires this Voltage back into the CPU leaving the owner with a problem that cant be fixed these CPU are not obtainable Ive tried contacting Maycom they are the overseas company that manufactured that radio and had no luck in trying to do so. Your problem may be different but the CPU is the most common hopefully one day someone will come out with a replacement CPU and all these radios lying around can be fixed . If someone ever pulled this off they would surely be an ICON to the radio world. I would have it looked at by a reputable technicion and make sure of the cause of the problem and go from there. Good luck my friend.

Thanks for that info Tony! That was the other problem I was thinkin of. God knows who tried wirin a mic to it before I got it :( . I have called several radio shops an they keep tellin me the same thing, GOOD LUCK! Hopefully one day i will figure it out :) NowTony, is yours doin the same thing? I agree, NEW CPU's for this radio would be nice :LOL: . Again thanks for the info

I cant remember what mine was doing its been so long since I had it plugged inn As I said it was sent to 2 shops in California and one being the main distributor of these radios for the USA.. They had it about a year then it was put in the closet..

Damn! Every shop I called told me they either never seen one or just flat refuse to work on it...lol..not worth the money right now to ship it anywhere i guess...lol..someday it will wurk again, just not anytime soon..lmaooo

yupp alot of shops dont like SMT Surface Mount Technology or they plain just dont understand it so yes alot of places will keeep there hands clean of that radio just like the Cobra 150 and 200GTL mobiles

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.