• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Suggestion on 1KW 2m amplifier

My question is Who would one consider the Top of there game on that build of Amplifier... I on the other hand have no reason to run that kind of "heater" in my shack...once i get my tower up after my Home Build i can assure anyone that if i can hear it i can reach it with 100 whiskeys!! This question is for a Fellow ham in my Area who has a burning hole in his pocket!!

A gallon or gallon and a half is a waste for terrestrial communications on VHF, even for contesting IMHO.Not to slam CB'ers, I consider myself more of a CB'er than an amateur, but this sounds like CB mentality and though it doesn't belong on that band , lets keep it there.

Reactions: 1 person
A gallon or gallon and a half is a waste for terrestrial communications on VHF, even for contesting IMHO.Not to slam CB'ers, I consider myself more of a CB'er than an amateur, but this sounds like CB mentality and though it doesn't belong on that band , lets keep it there.

We don't know for sure but maybe the guy wants it for weak signal tropo work or EME. Maybe? Maybe not?

Reactions: W4KVW
Thank you NORTHSTAR and Blackcat 630 for being the only one to answer my question with a answer , ive been in radio communication long enough to understand that antenna and height is the most important factor..trust me thats why i have 160 of Rohn 45 sitting inside my shop ready for install.. As for CB mentallity there are many hams that have that kind of "heat" in there shack for VHF, i on the other hand see no need for it and im a guy who use to slam a 25K Slug off my Bird 43 on AM 15 years ago !! This gentleman is a Extra Class ham of 30++ years and knows his junk..BUT was talking to me about builders and amplifiers and i come HERE to ask a question !!!

Thank you NORTHSTAR and Blackcat 630 for being the only one to answer my question with a answer , ive been in radio communication long enough to understand that antenna and height is the most important factor..trust me thats why i have 160 of Rohn 45 sitting inside my shop ready for install.. As for CB mentallity there are many hams that have that kind of "heat" in there shack for VHF, i on the other hand see no need for it and im a guy who use to slam a 25K Slug off my Bird 43 on AM 15 years ago !! This gentleman is a Extra Class ham of 30++ years and knows his junk..BUT was talking to me about builders and amplifiers and i come HERE to ask a question !!!

Are you having problems hitting a repeater?

Reactions: 3 people
We don't know for sure but maybe the guy wants it for weak signal tropo work or EME. Maybe? Maybe not?

Point taken, I just thought an extra of 30++ years who may or may not have an interest in EME or tropo propagation would do some research on their own before asking questions ... I wish him luck.

Have you suggested Joe in NC as a builder? j/k

Reactions: 2 people
Tokyo High Power makes a VERY nice 350 watt unit that is pretty much top notch. Lots of older Henry's and some Command Technologies for 2m as well. Amps for legal limit on 2m are pretty scarce. I think Emtron makes a nice one but they are rare as they are from Australia but they are top notch amps. Something in the 250-600 watt class is much easier to find.

Reactions: 1 person
His intentions im sure are of his own nature ...i ask a question because he isnt a Forum reader and the question was asked for my knowledge for a suggestion from what I have gathered...i didnt suggest the row of Alphas and Henry amps he has placed on his desk..and the conversation came up about him adding a Big 2 meter amp to his already great network of gear ..... As for the joe in north carolina comment..really? i mean come on!!! What responce were you looking for to that?

CPT KILO, a friend of mine has that amp and it does a FANTASTIC Job for him..but the nagain he does have a 140 foot tower on the highest point in the county..so im sure that doesnt help any lol :D

M2 is supposed to be a very nice 2m legal limit amp. Couple that with one of their huge 2m yagi arrays and you would have one powerful 2m station.

Reactions: W4KVW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.