• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Suggestions for my first 2 meter rig

Watergate

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know who to blame here, this forum, or listening to 10 meters and working SSB on 11 meters on my hr2510, but someone is to blame for my decision to get a ham ticket. I go for the exam in June. That's the next exam in my area.

So what I am looking for from you, the most knowledgeable forum I have found in the net, is a few suggestions for a good mobile set up for 2 meter. I have the president hr2510 for 10 meter.

I can't afford an expensive multi band radio right now, so I am looking at a simple 2 meter transceiver. Here is the catch, my mobile platform is a semi. So I need suggestions for an antenna set up as well. I can't run a magnet mount of any type, fiberglass roofs.

I have browsed other sights, but always come here for the best information.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've looked at the Icom, seems like a decent radio. I know mobile antennas are limited in performance by necessity, but is there one brand favored over others. I think with the work I do, that what is most important to me is reliability, and quality.

Comet, Diamond are widely used.

You may call some places like HRO, Universal Radio and AES and ask them what they'd recommend for your rig.

Walk around and look at some rigs and see what other drivers are using. Might think about getting a dual band antenna to save you trouble of changing it in case you get a dual bander down the road.

For the radio I would say go with something where you do not have to go into menus to change the basic settings. The antenna, I would say something that blends in, 5/8 wave, something resilent. I use a 5/8 wave with a short coil on the bottom and about 55" stinger, looks like a half breed cb antenna. Something like this Hustler SF-2 Mobile Antenna

I have found that for a bare-bones 2 meter radio the Kenwood TM-281 suits me just dandy. Doesn't have all the bells-n-whistles other radios have but after 'playing' with those bells-n-whistles a bit, I don't usually use them anyway. I've found that it has a very nice receiver, has PL tones, does scanning, and is about as simple as they get anymore (hate menus). I got mine form a 'local' dealer (less than 150 miles from here) who is very willing to deal/bargain. (Also has gobs of neat gadgits/junk! It's dangerous for me to go to that 'candy store'!)
Oh well, best advice possible is to get your hands on a radio to see how you 'fit' each other.
- 'Doc

Thanks for the responses all. The guys I work with have alot of information about cb related gear, as far as what will hold up to the roads around the Bakken oil fields, but I really don't know any hams so this site has become my go to spot for info.

I think that if I take the plunge into ham radio, then the group of guys who make the run up to the Bakken with me will follow. I have already gotten them to get their radios properly tuned, no square wave, AMC circuit reinstalled etc. No more splatter boxes. All with info I've grabbed from this site.

I do plan on going for my General, I have lots if time to digest the info.

I have a Yeasu ft 2900 on a Larsen NMO-150 antenna....works great !!

The 2900 is a nice little radio,easy to program ,and has a large display..that is a huge help when mobile.Had it for just over a year without so much as a hic-up as of yet

I would buy a dual band radio if I was you. I bought a 2M radio and realized I should have bought a dual band.

The icom IC-208 is a decent price and its a dual band radio.

I have 2 of them and they are nice little units.

Me too

I'm with you Watergate. I just passed the Tech and General two days ago and am trying to find a rig. I have been torn between 10 & 2 meters and would like to hear about your experience on 10 meters. As far as 2 meters I've decided it is best to spend a few more bucks and get something good that I can keep and is current. You will want diversity if you are traveling. I've ran into some units that only transmit FM or SSB. You need to research what is available in your area and possibly be ready for digital (Dstar).

I definitely recommend a dual band! I am researching what is called "crossband" which can almost turn your truck into a repeater you can operate from a cheap walkie talkie nearby. Another big advantage of dual banders is their ability to receive other bands and use as a scanner of sorts.

I'm told if you've got $500 to spend then spend $200 on a radio and $300 on a great antenna.

Well watergate..

Welcome to the forum..

It is Not too hard at all to get your ham ticket these days..
are you studying via books and or online.

I hear you in wanting to keep pricing down.
I would however suggest a dual bander.
You may want to do a little research in your area with regards to how many repeaters are nearby (some areas are indeed more favorable to 2 meters,but then other areas are more favorable to 70cm and then there are areas that are really good in both)

Anyways a dual bander would keep you plugged in regardless.
to keep it on lower money wise i also would say the Icom IC 208
(an Excellent little radio indeed..does not take up much room at all & works great and very good display)

As far as antennas go..
I too recommend both the Comet and Diamond antennas ( i use both and they are very good antennas)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.