• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Super Lynx by Pearce-Simpson

Mp1969

Jul 12, 2017
IMG_1770.JPG Found this at a local flea market. I had to dig it out of a pile of stuff. The top and sides are a little crusty but the face looks good. Plugged it in and it lit up. I had never heard of it. The guy wanted $50 for it. My question is, is it worth it?

depends on what you want. I would not pay 50.00 for a old 23 channel AM radio. I owned a bearcat 23B radio back in the 70's. nice radios for their time. as old as this radio is it will need to be recapped if you plan to use it.

I agree with Sonoma. $50 dollars for that old junker is a rip. It's 23 channel and can't be upgraded to 40 channels or more without buying a bunch of new crystals. Even a collector of P-S rigs would pass on it because of condition. I'd pass and so should you.

unitt 399 I upgraded my old bearcat 23B for some upper channels and I did not have to buy all the crystals since my buddy had all I needed to give it uppers but it still did not get all the 40. I was short 2 or 3 channels but it was all right after I got it put together. if you have to buy the crystals now it would be about 100.00 for them if not more. all I had to buy was a 3 position switch and add the crystal bank to get more out of it. A buddy of mine has it and still uses it from time to time.

Sonoma-
You're right. Xtals now cost a mint, and finding a reliable supplier is hit and miss. Many of the old P/S rigs sounded great on the air. That Super Lynx is a good talker and has a built-in mike preamp and a front panel mic gain control which is a good thing. But a 23 CH radio in so-so condition for 50 bucks. I'll pass.

A very few 23-channel radios had a synthesizer that mixed one crystal with ALL the channels for transmit and receive. Most of those were SSB radios made by Toshiba, if memory serves.

Other radios would have one receive and one transmit crystal that could be changed. Switch them both at once and you had another 23 channels, with only two crystals and the switch wiring. The original 23-channel Cobra 29 and the Sonar FS23 and FS3023 worked this way.

But most of them were not this easy. The typical rule was one crystal for every four new channels. The radio would have six of those. You could just pluck one out, and substitute your new 4 channels for those four.

There were a LOT of different crystal-mixing schemes used, and no simple rule works for every radio. Lou Franklin explains a lot of this, and rather well in his "Screwdriver Experts' Guide" and "Understanding and Repairing CB Radios" books.

http://cbcintl.com/
The high-priced solution in those days was an external "slider". A VFO that had a shielded cable running into the radio. You unplugged a crystal, and plugged in the VFO's output cable. This trick would permit you to discover how narrow-banded your radio was, by how many channels it could cover before the transmit power and receiver sensitivity would begin to drop off above and below the legal 23 channels.

Problem was, the radios used literally dozens of crystal-frequency combinations. Your slider had to match the radio's crystal to work properly.

Just looked it up on Sams CB-65. AM-only radio. Channel 1-4 crystal is 37.6 MHz. A slider for that crystal is not at all common.

I would ask him to pay me to take it off his hands.

Last edited:
I have one and like it. Paid slightly less than $50 for a clean example. Sounds okay with a good power desk mic. Nice to have the tone control for the receive.

Note: almost all of these crystal CB radios are slightly off frequency by now. Buyer beware. You can "pull" a crystal a bit either way with pico-farad (PF) disk capacitor in series or parallel if it is slightly off frequency.

cb_mag_june_1975_pg59.gif

I sure don't remember paying $379.95 for my Guardian 23, but it was worth every penny. Wish I had it back.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.