• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

surprising! info about vertical antennas and poor soil

Marconi,
Sounds reasonable to me. I'm not sure how you could do much better with the equipment you had available. 'Repeatability' and consistency in the results is a 'poor man's alternative. Not bad at all, but also not exactly worth a trip to the 'bank' in every case.
Cibek's test done at different heights and with two frequencies does provide some 'comparisons' that do show trends, of sorts. I would think that those 'trends' change in importance with the objective of the tests, or what you would be particularly interested in, such as the affect of changing radial angles, or 'take off' angles, input impedance matching, or what the color of the sky is at any particular time.
Aiming for a low take off angle isn't necessarily the 'best' idea for an antenna. Primarily because the 'best' take off angle changes with propagation, and what's good today may not be good tomorrow (or in ten minutes). And because the take off angle will change with different mounting environments (same antenna, different results in different locations).
It is interesting though, ain't it?
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.