• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SW DOWN BUT NOT OUT.....

Nightshade

Sep 16, 2009
Don't count Shortwave Radio out just yet. This story brings out some points that seem to be suppressed by big business of new tech.

EXCERPTS.......
"Powerful, manipulative forces are at work here. Although difficult to prove, there has even been speculation that considerable ‘promotional fees’ may have been paid in the process. "

"To quote the old saying: Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. Another popular and wise saying is: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. We are in favour of new technology, provided it demonstrates a clear superiority to what is currently in use. In the case of shortwave, some would like to bury it before it has even died."

" As far as Internet is concerned, both the high cost of being online and that of computer equipment do not make audio streaming a viable alternative to radio in most regions of the world, and especially in developing countries- yet."

undpi.org : The Future of Shortwave and International Broadcasting: a critical point of view | International radio, TV and other media

Still, even discounting the lack of decent propagation, ISWBC (International Shortwave Broadcasting) stations are much fewer in number than they were 50 years ago.

Still, even discounting the lack of decent propagation, ISWBC (International Shortwave Broadcasting) stations are much fewer in number than they were 50 years ago.

I hope you're not saying that SWL isn't worth the time or money anymore due to lack of content to listen to. :unsure:

If the supply end of radios is drying up like it is does that mean SWL is just waiting for someone to play taps? :eek:

A lot of SW stations have dropped shows directed at the hobby itself like DX Corner etc. Also many stations no longer target certain other areas and that is a shame because we here in North America are one of the areas that have been dropped in a rather big way. I suspect the reason is because we can generally listen via internet much easier than most Asian or African nations. South Africa dropped it's Radio RSA broadcasts completely in 1992 and was sadly missed as they had a great signal into North America and offered great programming. Austrailia dropped their NA broadcasts but you can often catch the Pacific broadcasts beamed this way but the programming is irrelavent. They are online however. Shortwave broadcasting will never be dead but it is slowly dying. Gone are the good old days of struggling to hear a station crammed in between two others on a really crowded band. Gone too are the really decent table top receivers that offer performance far beyond what the little portables have to offer today. I'm not saying they are crap but they just don't perform like the oldies on a crowded band or when trying to extract a signal on a noisy and crowded AM broadcast band. I started SWL'ing about 32 years ago and believe me there is a HUGE differance between then and now both in numbers of stations, quality of programming , and quality of receivers available and none of it is for the good.

Sadly, the downturn in SWL is the main reason I plan to limit my expenditures to an old Realistic DX-160 if I can find one cheap. I just want to play a bit and from what I've read here , and elsewhere, it will do little good to do more than play with my idea. But that's ok with me. (y)

Thanks all for all your help!!! (y)(y)

P.S. I plan to stick around here to see what else I can learn.

The DX-160 is an "OK" radio but hard to use with any accuracy of determining the actual freq. you are tuned too. They are also hard to tune on SSB,they are too touchy. I have,and highly recommend to anyone, a Kenwood R-1000 which is a nice sounding and peforming radio. It does not have a lot of bells and whistles,a notch filter would be nice, but it does work great. They have been out of production for many years and those who do own them tend to hold onto them.Every now and then one pops up for sale however. Another great older RX is the Icom R-70/R71 series.

Speaking of SW rx's if anyone knows of the whereabouts of a Kenwood R-820 for sale and in good condition let me know.I want one to add to my TS-820S ham station. They are arguably the BEST receiver Kenwood ever made and will operate in tandom with the TS-820S transceiver for split operation.

Interesting. I've been a long time fan of Kenwood Audio equipment and my current steoro is a Kenwood brand. I eyeballed the Kenwood R-1000 in my cruising on e-bay. So that makes your suggestion of a KW R-1000 ok by me!(y)

I have a Grundig GS350DL from Amazon to try so I'll wait until it gets here to see what's next but I know it's not a very hot radio it might do for FM listening.

In the mean time I'll save my pennies to get enough $$$$ put back to buy a better radio.......the first time. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.