• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR METERS AND DUMMY LOADS ?

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Let's say I use a run of the mill Radio Shack 30.00 SWR Meter , if using two different dummy loads on given meter , should these readings be close to 1.1 on both dummy loads off given SWR meter ? in other words , if given meter reads 2.2 with both dummy loads (Vectronics 300 watt and 1500 watt ) could this be an indication that said SWR meter was reading higher then it should be ? and if so ? could the meter be calobrated by the dummy load or is there just to many variables involved ? Thanks

switch, vectronic loads are rough n ready like mfj gear, ok for quick checks but not much use for accurate measurements,
if you had the loads in parallel it should read close to 2:1, if your measuring just one load at 2:1 something is wrong,
measure the loads with a digital multimeter, if they are both close to 50ohm dc and your patch leads are propperly soldered 50ohm leads i would say the meter is more than likely faulty.

Thanks Bob , both checked out at 51.7 ohm and 53 ohms ? to high ? by faulty , would you guess to high ? this is what IM guessing , on a few other meters , they read much lower on both loads 1 at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks for leasons here guys , Bob ? CB radio in the UK , what frequancies do you guys get to run ? are they different from America's channels 1 thru 40 ?

all new cb's here have both bands, most have country settings so they can be set to whatever the european country allows that you happen to be in AM/FM,
some european countrys allow ssb so we have the president jackson2 sold here as a legal radio.

this is very interesting , I had another thread on the TV anolog changing over total digital here in the states next year with the government helping others whom may not be able to afford the new converter boxes that will be needed for the older TV's , Kind of makes me wonder what they will do with those anolog channels ? TV receiving radios won't work anymore more.

Last edited:
Kind of makes me wonder what they will do with those anolog channels ?

most of tv channels 52-69 are being auctioned off. where do you think the gov. is getting the money to give each house the 2 $40 coupons for converter boxes? at last count in feb., the bidding was up to 19 billion dollars. the gov. was only hoping for 12 billion dollars.

24mhz of this space will be given to public service. another 20mhz (called D block) will be set aside for the PSST (public safety spectrum trust). this space will be up for bid and the winner must build a nationwide broadband network for public safety. they will also be able to sale services to the public on this band (where the bid winner will make their $$$$), but public safety will have priority.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.