• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR when you are running a tuner?

I would hold off on any more trim of the 160 wire until you get the others to start falling into place...
Also have you trimmed the same amount, or any off the the "lying" on the ground element ?....
Remember that is still is part of the antenna...and may need "tweaking" also....
When you add the other rods, and stake those radials down, it may influence the tuning also....
The signal your transmitting is AC....it travels both directions over the entire system...
Sounds like your making progress...(y)
GL
All the Best
BJ

BJ I have not bothered trimming the ground radials... they are loosely 1/4 wave, give or take several feet... so maybe so adjustments to the gorund radials will be a good idea.

well so far it's not looking too bad

1.8Mhz = 2.5 : 1
1.9Mhz = 1.7 : 1
2.0Mhz = 2.2 : 1

that's close enough for me, MIGHT try trimming the 160m ground radial as I know it is about 2o feet too long

3.5Mhz = 3.9 : 1
3.6Mhz = 3.0 : 1
3.7Mhz = 2.5 : 1
3.8Mhz = 2.0 : 1
3.9Mhz = 2.0 : 1
4.0Mhz = 2.5 : 1

not too bad considering this thing is made with 18 gauge baling wire (total cost was around $4)

7.0Mhz = 2.6 : 1
7.1Mhz = 2.6 : 1
7.2Mhz = 2.6 : 1
7.3Mhz = 2.7 : 1

I would think the 160 meter antenna is 'good enough', so start on the 80 and 40 meter ones. When they get 'better', just for grins, go back and check the 160 meter one again, it'll probably have changed some.
Repeat with each antenna till things are 'close enough'. Then quit.
- 'Doc

W5LZ, not sure it can get much better... might be able to shift the 80m SWR a little lower(more toward the CW section) at least getting it below 3.5:1 through out the band.

but honestly what is there to do? trim the ground radials? add more ground radials? add 3(or more ) ground rods?

I mean where do I go from here? Either way not a bad first HAM antenna project if I do say so myself

As long as it's not me doing it, I would say the best thing you can do is to add more radials. They really do better than ground rods, and I've never heard of anyone having too many of them. From there it's a matter of picking a frequency and optimizing for it. I'm sure there are alternatives, if you can find one that's more 'palatable', do it/them.
I think you're right, not bad for a first attempt. Or a 12th attempt as far as that goes.
- 'Doc

ok 3 ground rods in the ground, 1 long, 2 short (just what I had laying around in the utility room)

lucky for me the soil was VERY soft, maybe I could plant some flowers and make them mutate from rf radiation exposer... lol joking joking

anyway results:

1.8Mhz = 2.5 : 1
1.9Mhz = 1.5 : 1
2.0Mhz = 2.0 : 1

3.5Mhz = 3.9 : 1
3.6Mhz = 3.0 : 1
3.7Mhz = 2.5 : 1
3.8Mhz = 1.9 : 1
3.9Mhz = 1.8 : 1
4.0Mhz = 2.5 : 1

7.0Mhz = 2.3 : 1
7.1Mhz = 2.3 : 1
7.2Mhz = 2.3 : 1
7.3Mhz = 2.5 : 1

FX: I'm proud of you bro...give you credit where it's due!:D
You jumped in with both feet and got it working...
Now what's your call?....Sorry I understand the wait!
Now you have a toy...Enjoy using it.....
Excuse me but I can't help myself:(y)

Remember Young Jedi....what you have learned....

When your ready for your next antenna....
Think....
Double Extended Zepp....
Maybe a "Doublet" feed with 300 ohm twin-lead(450 line) is what I prefer...
Just keep going down the road your going....
Where is Midwest????
Never mind I'll know when you get your call.....damn I did it again!:D
All the Best
Gary

Answers in blue

FX: I'm proud of you bro...give you credit where it's due!:D
You jumped in with both feet and got it working...

thanks

Now what's your call?....Sorry I understand the wait!

I am debating weather I should put the call out on the web. My worry is that it might cheapen the experience of HAM radio. A lot of the old timers have cautioned me against it saying that it takes away the excitement of contacts

I will think about it. I realize that anyone can look me up on the web that hears my call sign, so not sure if I understand where they are coming from on keeping a low internet presence, or at the very least keeping my internet presence somewhat separated from my radio presence... WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Last night I made a few contacts on 80m, Kansas City to St. Louis was not to bad. Also made a 10m contact, bumped into a local and talked with Doug in VA... I was on the a

Now you have a toy...Enjoy using it.....
Excuse me but I can't help myself:(y)

Remember Young Jedi....what you have learned....

When your ready for your next antenna....
Think....
Double Extended Zepp....
Maybe a "Doublet" feed with 300 ohm twin-lead(450 line) is what I prefer...

Honestly the only local place to buy 300 ohm for me is radio shack, it's good stuff, but it's $20 for 100ft, I can buy 450 Ohm from Associated radio just a few towns over for only $25 for 100 foot...

Just keep going down the road your going....
Where is Midwest????

Missouri, basically a little east of Kansas City

Never mind I'll know when you get your call.....damn I did it again!:D
All the Best
Gary

Funny thing is I have not had much time to get on the air Church was Sunday, Monday was the start of a conference my church is having, Tuesday was day 2 (going to be there every night 7pm - about 10pm till Friday night), I got home around 10:35pm and saw my license was in the FCC ULS, so I hopped on 80m, no contact, went to 10m, plenty of contact, went back to 80m and heard a net, broke in when there was a little down time, introduced myself and had a little fun. Th guys on 80m got a kick out of me talking to them on $4 worth of baling wire

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.