• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Taking "hung up" to new "heights"

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
I've posted this in a couple other places, but once in awhile you see something that's just soooooo funny!~ :D I was going to the Dr yesterday morning for a checkup when I came across a traffic tie-up and I thot, "Oh no, RATS! I'm gonna be late to the Dr's." But when I got close enough to the situation, I just burst out laughing! :p This FedEX truck had backed down a steep driveway into a plant. Unfortunately, the fifth wheel would not articulate down far enough to let the rig "bend" in the middle as far as the driveway required. Sum'pin's gotta give, so it simply jacked the tractor up so it's drive wheels were 6" off the ground!! :p So the tractor had both lanes of the street blocked, and you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd (Roger Miller) and you can't go anywhere with your wheels off the ground, so.................................... :D

Now I've driven trucks before and I've been stuck, but never THAT way! I bet this fella felt really sheepish.

I snickered all the way to the clinic. (I made it to the Dr, too!)

The funny thing is usually FedEx drivers go to an account on a regular basis and they know what works and what doesnt work for backing or spotting a dock, sounds like he was to heavy in the rear of the trailer or a new driver and did not anticipate the grade of the drive,,,any way, it had to suck to be him.

I work near a dock on a dead end street and the drivers pull down the street and have to blind side back into the narrow drive going to the dock door. At least once a week a truck always backs over the concrete barrier and into the 6 foot deep ditch with the trailer.

Bottom line, if you want your Class "A" CDL,,, dont just learn how to back up to pass the test, learn to back up in "the real world"

If'n I'd have been there I'd have backed my little 1 ton Ram turbo diesel 4x4 up to it, hook a chain on it and see if I could get it back on it's drive wheels, just to see if it'd do it. I'm guessing I'd either move it or 4 tires would try to go up in smoke...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.