• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talking to a Trucker!!!

Mine is set on 1; I may notch it up, though. I think that I turned it down to experiment with the talkback feature, and never turned it back up. No one has complained, though.

That's one of the minor nuisances with the radio; I'd prefer the mic gain to be on a knob, without having to press buttons and key the mic. Not the easiest thing to do, when driving.

Overall, I agree with Codeman, though. Good little radio. However, I have no experience with his recommended mic; I just use an Astatic 636L mic, and it gets the job done. I may try another mic upgrade, in the future, though. It's always fun to try out new toys.

@seagiant : it's not that the beep bothers ME, but I'm always afraid that changing a channel or a setting might wake up my wife, who is generally asleep in the back of the truck, if I'm up front playing with the radio. I understand that Uniden got a lot of complaints about the beep, and started making 980's with beeps that you could turn down or off. Unfortunately, I did not get one of those; I got 1st gen. There is a little resistor or somesuch doodad, that I could remove, and eliminate the beep. But, 'tis a tiny thing, and I'm not clear on exactly which one it is, sooo.... not gonna fool with it.

Hi,
Yea, sorry!

Mine is one of the later models so no big deal for me!

It seems strange that there are not more modern CB's like the 980 built by other company's?

Seems with all the truckers and people like me, there would be a market!

The 980 comes with 4or 5 diffent panel covers, wx channels, ect.!

Seems to have all the expensive upgrades all ready!

Cobra has the 25LX and the 29LX; those are fairly modernized. But, to my knowledge, they don't have a similar offering in SSB.

The modern truckers don't run with CB's like they used to, sadly. Apparently, many younger drivers are content with the information that they obtain from smartphones and GPS's.

And, the guys WITH radio's are frequently cussing each other out. That has turned some folks off. While I can understand their frustrations, I personally think that trucking is the wrong line of work if you're that thin skinned.

My opinion is that it's irresponsible to drive a truck with no radio. Some of the best information that I have received, came from the radio.

Hi,
Yes, I remember looking at the 29LX when I was doing my research but marked it off as I wanted SSB!

I hope when I get my amp on I will get more SSB traffic?

Haven't gotten much lately but heard that is normal depending where you are?

I might even try to get my "General" Ham License???

Hi,
I'll stick my neck out and say 4 to 5, but...

I have not done mine yet, even though I have everything to do it on the bench.
'
I'm going to bring it down to 2 to run the amp!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.