• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Ranger TR-127FST

danmcclain

Dec 11, 2020
I just received this radio from Ebay untested. When powered up there is no audio. It transmits fine. Nothing on PA either. Any ideas what the problem could be???? Thanks Dan

I'd like to know too...

The thing uses a mod transformer, so to me it indicates work on Talkback issues, you have AM so that tells me one live side of the transformer works - no PA relates to the output winds of the mod transformer that connects to the other open lead pair side.

So check CB/PA switch - look for problems in and around the EXT SP and PA jacks.

Also check squelch function - if you don't hear a "thunk" from the radios speaker during power up (the bootstrap) it might mean the Audio TA7222P chip needs help - new caps are probably what it is calling for. Affects SQ function too.

ADDED IN:

The radio uses a RELAY from Pin 4 to offer switching for the SPEAKER ground.
Might want to check that...

Also - since you may not have Receive, but shows RX and TX switching - Pin 1 and Pin 2 of the MIC JACK may have been reversed.

Check Board ground to Pin 2 of the Jack, if it shows a Dead short, there is your problem.

Then what about Pin1? That is should be your Audio (Mic line)

Here's why...

Service manual shows EPT012910A but wired for typical Cobra Uniden 4-pin Handset style.

Pin 1 - GND
Pin 2 - MIC
Pin 3 - TX
Pin 4 - RX

But look at the plug side schematically shows...

Pin 1 - MIC
Pin 2 - GND
Pin 3 - TX
Pin 4 - RX

See the swap?

So, if no noise, reverse Pin 1 and 2 - Pin 2 might need to be Ground at the HANSET to match the wiring shown on schematic. to the RADIO Jack

Short Pin 2 to Pin 4 - get RX? Theres' your answer.

1645582741564.png
Now, I'm back to Dinner with the wife...​

Last edited:
I'd like to know too...

The thing uses a mod transformer, so to me it indicates work on Talkback issues, you have AM so that tells me one live side of the transformer works - no PA relates to the output winds of the mod transformer that connects to the other open lead pair side.

So check CB/PA switch - look for problems in and around the EXT SP and PA jacks.

Also check squelch function - if you don't hear a "thunk" from the radios speaker during power up (the bootstrap) it might mean the Audio TA7222P chip needs help - new caps are probably what it is calling for. Affects SQ function too.

ADDED IN:

The radio uses a RELAY from Pin 4 to offer switching for the SPEAKER ground.
Might want to check that...

Also - since you may not have Receive, but shows RX and TX switching - Pin 1 and Pin 2 of the MIC JACK may have been reversed.

Check Board ground to Pin 2 of the Jack, if it shows a Dead short, there is your problem.

Then what about Pin1? That is should be your Audio (Mic line)

Here's why...

Service manual shows EPT012910A but wired for typical Cobra Uniden 4-pin Handset style.

Pin 1 - GND
Pin 2 - MIC
Pin 3 - TX
Pin 4 - RX

But look at the plug side schematically shows...

Pin 1 - MIC
Pin 2 - GND
Pin 3 - TX
Pin 4 - RX

See the swap?

So, if no noise, reverse Pin 1 and 2 - Pin 2 might need to be Ground at the HANSET to match the wiring shown on schematic. to the RADIO Jack

Short Pin 2 to Pin 4 - get RX? Theres' your answer.

View attachment 57578
Now, I'm back to Dinner with the wife...​
Thanks for the info Handy Andy, was wondering why it came with a Cobra handheld mic.... Dan

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.