• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 350HDV

Number 5 way to die from a Texas star 350. You left you're Texas star 350 on the floor and got up in the middle of the night, stubbed your toe on it. Your toe gets infected, they go to amputate, complications arise, they medivac you to the nearest trauma centers and on the way your pilot suffers a stroke. While going down you grab a parachute and jump out not realizing the helicopter is descending faster than you so you get caught in the propeller. No problem. It just cut off your foot. You serviive the fall and recover in the hospital and die from staff infection.

CbRadiosPRONTO

Several thousand volts. People have been killed having their hands inside an amp when its keyed up.

There is no high voltage here as others have pointed out but an RF burn still isn't pleasant. I'm not trying to bash you but wanted to add more. I don't want someone that skims over this thread to get the feeling amps are safe to poke around in as long as they aren't keyed.

Tube amplifiers use high voltage and can be dangerous keyed, unkeyed and even when unplugged. Best to leave the lid on if you don't know what you're doing.

With more and more mosfet amps being built you have to beware of solid state. 50+ volts isn't high voltage but you still don't want to get bit by it.

I've been zapped by a tuber before. I thought I was dead. Scared the crap outta me. Walked away with a hole in my hand. I'm just having fun.

CbRadiosPRONTO

Depends on the amp. A guy here in town likes to joke about the time his little sweep tube amp bit him. He recently got something with 3-500z. The first thing I told him is it won't just shock you. Keep your ******* hands out of it.....anyway I won't derail the thread any further.

100 ways to die by a Texas star.

#6. You plugged it backwards into an XForce 100 amp unregulated power supply. No worries. The power supply dropped in voltage from 18 volts to 7.5 volts. On the way to the parts store to buy replacement fuses you get hit by a bus while reaching underneath the seat to try and adjust the variable knob on your DX350HDV. Stupid variable knobs.

CbRadiosPRONTO

Reactions: skiman1
I see that 30 years in electronics with an honors degree has served you well ;)

There are many reports of amateurs killed by putting their hands inside amps and getting whacked. And yes I do know its the current that kills but for some reason saying several thousand volts has more impact than saying a few hundred milliamps.

There are many reports of amateurs killed by putting their hands inside amps and getting whacked. And yes I do know its the current that kills but for some reason saying several thousand volts has more impact than saying a few hundred milliamps.

Ohms law. Higher voltage has the potential to carry more current through a load. In the end the current does kill you. Higher voltage is just more powder behind the bullet.

Reactions: 1 person
These are guys running amps off a wall socket not mobile. And it's the 120 ac that killed them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

These are guys running amps off a wall socket not mobile. And it's the 120 ac that killed them.Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Gee, I dunno 'bout that, even when my amps are unplugged, and I have my left hand in my pocket, I still use a "chicken stick" with my right hand(y)

Reactions: wavrider
These are guys running amps off a wall socket not mobile. And it's the 120 ac that killed them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Actually, that 120vac transformed, rectified and filtered can be several thousand volts. Even unplugged there is enough potential stored in the caps to kill someone very easily.

BUT, this a 12vdc related thread.

Reactions: 1 person
#7 way to die from a Texas star dx350.

You plug it into 110v while keying up. You would have been alright but you were adjusting the variable knob in the amp at the same time. It shorted and shot electricity through your body and came out your ears.

CbRadiosPRONTO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.