• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 350HDV

Hey there Ay589, was not trying to be a smart a$$ because I can do that some times but not this time. Used to drive a 94 9C1 with the LT1 motor, they were bad to the bone for as big a car that they are.

As far as the whole amp thing, most wattage ratings by builders are way over claimed. Probably 90% of amplifiers that have HD stamped on them are really not true HD units. Next problem is the finals in most of these amplifiers are not made anymore, and the original's that are left are very expensive. It's best these days to watch your SWR, don't overdrive the amp, and keep an eye on how hot the amplifiers gets.

Hey there Ay589, was not trying to be a smart a$$ because I can do that some times but not this time. Used to drive a 94 9C1 with the LT1 motor, they were bad to the bone for as big a car that they are.

As far as the whole amp thing, most wattage ratings by builders are way over claimed. Probably 90% of amplifiers that have HD stamped on them are really not true HD units. Next problem is the finals in most of these amplifiers are not made anymore, and the original's that are left are very expensive. It's best these days to watch your SWR, don't overdrive the amp, and keep an eye on how hot the amplifiers gets.
Yep, no you're fine, it was the one other guy who got upset with me but all fine. Yeah the orig 2879s that you see now mostly I hear are just knockoffs with the stamp etc. (but that's what I hear) so please nobody attack me. Hahaha

Your dead key is too high at 4 watts. Should be around 1-2 watts max for that amp. Your pep power is okay, but 4 watts of dead key into that amp is just too much IMO.
It’s only to much on the variable, burn it up. Green am button out 4 watts is fine. A dx350 does peak 350-400 pep on SSB. Watch them on YouTube on bird 43 with a peak kit installed.

this is real old, but where the heck are you getting 375 watts from a dx350? Ive got an old black widow 350 and ts 350 and both are 130 watts on my bird! it made me very sad to see that!
That’s RMS, check on a bird with a peak kit installed.

so it will not do any good or help stabilize voltage/current? or even boost the output? reason asking is seeing some of these big amp guys saying "x" amount of watts with 15volts then "X" amount of watts with 20 volts
20 volts will kill it. Only go to 15.

Jegs is right on the money though. Putting anything higher than 14.6 into it is asking for a smokeball. I run 14.2 into it and no more. I use a 350 hdv for some sideband here and there. It works great at 375, and I see no reason to push it harder for the minimal gain it would provide.
I tell thousands this but they have to learn.

Real Toshiba 2879s (100 watt devices) X 2 = 200 watts . (I do not like those variables on what they call HD boxes , I agree with what Freecell and 9C1 said) Running those at about 200 to 240 PEP with a good VSWR should smoothly and nicely run those boxes for a long time to come. You want to see 3 and 4 hundred pep out them ? It's your dime and your time. You ever wonder why HF radios that are rated at 100 watts that may just have 2 x 2879s in them ? because there filtered and biased very nicely ..........they are far from being over driven and those radios ran correctly can last a very long time. I'm an old needle bender from way back , it just doesn't have to be that way anymore. It was fun while it lasted . You stick around this Forum long enough you will read the truth one way or the other and you can take it from there. The machines don't lie (swing kits/cut diodes/R131) , although to make myself feel better I could always say I don't talk to machines ,I talk to people .........at least until the new amp or radio comes around.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.