• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX-350HD Questions

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I can't ask this question over at QRZ.com cause my flame suit is old and wouldn't withstand the heat.

I do not have much experience with these types of solid state amps.

I understand that the 350HD has a key jack on the rear and that the delay button will reduce power for different break-in rates.

My question is: When these are modified for 11 meters, do all of these features stay the same or does the modification process change things? As in, does the key jack still work along with the delay button.

I have a 2950DX that I really enjoy using. It is bone stock and when checked today it was showing 2.5 watts DK on low and 10 Watts on High. SSB looked like 15 watts on low and close to 30 watts on high. My meter only reads RMS and these results were obtained with a high tech whistle.

Has anyone ever used one of these on CW and if so, what was your results?

Also, is the input circuit tuned decent or is it "hit or miss" with each unit?

Is there any other amp that may work as good or better (within the same price range) that I should look at. I want the best sounding SSB signal also.

Thanks.

The modification process will change things, basically it is a Amp that is sold as a CW transmitter to get around the Rules.
Once you remove the oscillator board from the amp and move the wires around to make it work as an Amplifier the key jack becomes disconnected.
The SSB button will still work as a delay for use in SSB by putting a electrolytic capacitor in the with the relay to allow the relay to hold a bit before letting go.
The Dial-A-watt allows the variable to control the output of the Amp and switches in a 75 ohm, 2 watt resistor (if i remember right) to help pad the input to the variable to help keep from burning it out.
The best advise is to leave the variable fully open and use the power control on the radio to control the output from the Amp.
Somewhere around 3 or 4 watts dead key , you can play with it a little bit, let the amp key somewhere in the 80 to 100 watt range and go up with modulation.
Here is what I do on SSB
Start at the lowest power setting on the radio in SSB mode, key up and modulate the radio, watch your output meter ( built in or external) increase the power output on the radio to the point where you see no more increase in output power, then back up about 10/15%.
Note where that is and run it there.
Another alternative is to find that point of input and go inside the radio and adjust the High power SSB setting to not exceed that value so that even with the radio running full open on the radio will not over drive the Amp...this might save it if you have it wide open and forget to turn it down before turning the amp on.
Input SWR is decent on most set ups.
I do not know anyone that runs them on CW mode as sold.
Two suggestions:
Put a fan(s) on it
Bypass the fuse holders and go right to the board with good mulit-strand wire, say 8 gauge, and fuse at the battery.
One warning:
Never go above 15 volts with these types of amps, what ever your vehicle 12 volt system is putting out is about the limit....some of the newer cars/trucks are running in the 14 volt range.

Conversion Instructions
http://cbtricks.com/Amp/txstar/dx250hdv_dx350hdv/dx250hdv-350hdv_mod.htm

Schematic

http://cbtricks.com/Amp/txstar/dx250hdv_dx350hdv/graphics/ts_dx250hdv_dx350hdv_cwtx_sch.gif

Thanks to Bennie at CB Tricks for the Documentation on the Texas star amps.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid that things would change.

Do you have any idea how the amp will perform with the 2950 in CW mod with the rig doing the keying? Wonder what the CW signal would sound like. I suppose the amp could handle a CW input, but who knows.

Looking for someone with first hand knowledge using a 2950 on CW into a Texas Star amp.

I do not see why it would not work after being converted, might need to play with the cap that times the delay....

Maybe some one else has used one on CW.
If you already have it try it.

Jeff

very good question,i will hook up my rci2950dx and my old amp...i dont have any texas star amps right now,just a digital sport 100 and old palomattx 100...been thinking about a texas star 400 or 500dx...73s keep me up on it also,73s de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.