• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star dx 500v

Man that's kind of a sad note, Texas star has been around a long time.

John told me once that Texas star is who acquired galaxy back in the day so it'll be odd if Galaxy continues.
Yeah, I'm not happy. They may not be the most trusted name in the business, but they've been around a long time and I've never had an issue with the ones I've had. Not major power houses, but reliable units once you do the power wire upgrade.

Galaxy radios and Texas Star run from the same location, some of the same staff, same owners.

Doesn't sound good.

I called John at TS 2 days ago, the call went direct to voice mail.
No call back and he has always returned the call before.....
Maybe gone already?
He told me a few months ago that indeed if someone came up with the cash it could be bought, maybe they just folded.

Jeff

Trucks has some left.

Yeah, the prices are beginning to reflect the scarcity of them. I may start silently buying them up on FB.

I talked to John on the phone.
They are still building as of right now, but since Ed passed there is only Don left as the sole owner.
Mike and a few others are still working building parts, testing amps but.......
Long story short, things are up in the air and the future of Texas Star is unknown.
The company was offered for sale but no one had any real money to put up.

Jeff

Feel lucky as crap to get one from a local friend in a trade 2 weeks ago. A 500V less than 2 years old and was used very lightly. Has the gold label HG pills and had the heavy wire inside mod done to it with 6ga. out the back. Looks and works like new. Swinging to 525 on a 100 amp supply at 14.4V. This baby is never leaving my shack.

I called John at TS 2 days ago, the call went direct to voice mail.
No call back and he has always returned the call before.....
Maybe gone already?
He told me a few months ago that indeed if someone came up with the cash it could be bought, maybe they just folded.

Jeff
I haven't talked to John in a while, I would hate to see them go. You are right about call backs, John always will/would get back to me after a call, and not necessarily about a Galaxy product which I find above and beyond. Cathy(sp) also was very nice to talk to as well.
A lot of folks don't care for galaxy of Texas Star, but they offered the best customer service I have encountered in the CB world. John never talks down to you and will spend real time with you on solving a problem.
I bought a used Galaxy off the bay that was trashed, they offered to replace it for me. I of course refused as it wasn't their liability, but just the fact they still offered it blew me away.
I personally have about 6-7 Galaxy radios, and other than a little drift on warm up, they work fine and have a lot of features.

If you were sent the larger combiner with 2 resistors, you can use that in the 500. I've been running a 667 with that combiner in it since I bought it in 1996 with zero issues.
How hot does that combiner get when you key down. Mine will burn the heck out of you after 2 or 3 seconds of key down but then cools off quickly

Feel lucky as crap to get one from a local friend in a trade 2 weeks ago. A 500V less than 2 years old and was used very lightly. Has the gold label HG pills and had the heavy wire inside mod done to it with 6ga. out the back. Looks and works like new. Swinging to 525 on a 100 amp supply at 14.4V. This baby is never leaving my shack.
I love my DX-500. The audio reports I get are stellar and people are thinking I'm using studio equipment. People are amazed that I'm using a Stryker and a Texas Star.

burn the heck out of you after 2 or 3 seconds of key down

This tells you that the two 2-transistor amplifier boards are NOT delivering the same wattage. Hard to tell which one is crippled. Mostly we separate the input and output for each board and gator-clip coax to power up only one pair at a time. One of the two boards will be wimpy on the wattmeter. Next task is to find out why and make them deliver the same wattage. Those resistors normally soak up the tiny imbalance between the two 2-transistor amp boards. When both boards produce the same power, that resistor won't burn. Might get warm . When it roasts, this reveals an imbalance.

I love my DX-500. The audio reports I get are stellar and people are thinking I'm using studio equipment. People are amazed that I'm using a Stryker and a Texas Star.
It's a great combo for sure. You do have to credit a good bit of that audio quality to that high end desk mic you are running. With that mic you could run a Uniden 122xl and a KL203, people would swear you were on a 7300 or 2995.

On my Madison the audio is to tinny with a D104, I switched to a Turner Super Sidekick and that works well. The Uniden/President Madison is such a great old school radio. A DX 500v is perfect for that Madison I bet, nice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.