• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The eternal prototype. 4-pin mic socket on 5-pin radios.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
This project has been the eternal prototype. Each successive version reveals yet another fatal flaw to fix.

It started out as a way to use roger beep boards that lack a relay in radios that require the mike to receive. You need a relay for that, since the mike was keeping the receive speaker switched off while the transmitter is keyed. A roger beep keeps the radio keyed after you release the mike. Without a relay you would get a deafening BEEP! every time you unkey. You don't need pics of a relay strapped inside the radio the way we started doing this. Strapping pin 2 to pin 4 in Uniden SSB CB radios with the 8719 PLL chip was necessary so the 5-pin mike would still work. Eventually the idiot light came on and we started swapping the mike socket for a 4-pin. Since we're only using pins 1,2 and 3 this just makes life easier since newer radios tend to use the 4-pin plug.

Back in 1979 when the 5-pin SSB CB radios first appeared, this flustered folks who wanted to know why they needed a mike with six wires. "What's wrong with the 4-wire D104 I'm using now" was the frequent question.

Never mind the details, but five just doesn't equal 4.

Eventually I got tired of manually installing a relay in a Cobra 2000, Washington, Madison etc radios. Decided to put it all on a pc board and save a lot of labor installing a Roger K or 5-tone or "bump-bump".

dCfkKa.jpg

But this method had a problem. In most radios this would produce an annoying "POP!" when you release the mike. Wasted a lot of time looking for the source of this aggravation.

Then my idiot light came on. The pop was always there, but the speed with which your thumb comes off the mike button would keep the speaker switched off until the POP had died down.

Sure enough, if you slide your thumb off the mike button so that it pops out as fast as the spring will push it, you'll hear that POP. It was there all along.

So, the cure is to use two relays, and delay the one that switches on the speaker. Simple enough, a capacitor and diode will create this sequence.

qoROsO.jpg

Of course this is ugly, and way too shaky to use in a mobile radio, but it worked. Wa-hoo!

Just one problem fitting two relays on a pc board small enough to fit where it goes.

oNV1A5.jpg

Yet another problem. Surfing for bargains, I found this relay at All Electronics and bought a batch. They just didn't hold together well at all.

Oops.

New solution, use a better-quality Omron relay.

o4PfKM.jpg

This pic shows versions five and six. Turns out the fix has a problem. The audio current through the receive-side relay is more than it can handle. Radios that were used mobile would burn out the contacts in the receive relay and kill the receiver audio. Lasted longer in a base radio. Volume doesn't get turned as high.

Oops.

Can't get a relay rated for 3 Amps small enough to fit two of them. Decided to use a transistor to key the radio's transmit wire, and a single relay for the speaker.

At least it fits. Just one problem. Getting the layout right.

ywkQlQ.jpg

Not the end of the world. With trace cuts and a bodge wire it works as desired. Just can't sell a board with this kluge on it. Wouldn't be professional.

Besides, I installed the relay in half of them before discovering I had a trace underneath it that shouldn't even be there to begin with. It's the same trace that's on the solder side, just failed to see it.

jcitxH.jpg

Couldn't (wouldn't) very well remove those relays to cut this trace. Fixed the art errors, and ordered another batch.

So here is the revised board, going into a Philippines Cobra 148, first guinea pig for version 8. The 3-Amp relay had better dern well be big enough to last a while.

sO8UZK.jpg

Yeah, the "P2" hole was empty in the previous pic. Pin 2 of the 5-pin socket connects to an axial RF choke with yellow sleeve on the leads. Wont'reach the board until it's bolted in place.

m96fLA.jpg

Works a treat, as the aussies would say. Yeah, version eight. Spared you the rest of the incremental learning experiences.

Maybe version eight is finally ready for prime time. But not before a few dozen of them get made.

Sounds easy.

Last edited:

There's gotta be a way to switch audio with transistors.....

Too bad there weren't mosfets without that pesky kickback diode built in. Since 8w into 8Ω is only 8v, there is enough head room on a 13.8v supply to ensure the gate stays above the audio waveform with the source at ground and the audio connected to the drain via decoupling cap. Unfortunately, I tried this with an IRF520, and although it did switch the audio just fine, in the off state with the volume cranked, I can hear pops like the static is making that kickback diode turn on.

I did try to cook that diode open without blowing the 520 to bits, but my first attempt failed. Hefty little diode they got in there lol.

Trying to think of how to do it with a BJT, but I'm too tired to think clearly (hence the edit), but I think I have an idea if I can find one that can handle a base-emitter voltage of -9v.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.