• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The new kid on the block...internet radio.

Nightshade

Sep 16, 2009
I've stumbled upon a discussion on a fairly new type of radio...Internet radio. The radios to listen to this new way to listen to radio are just now coming on the market as near as I can tell.

Now I don't want to offend or get flamed for radio heresy but does anyone here own a net radio or use one? If so what's your opinion of this type of broadcasting?

Perhaps you're talking about streaming audio or SHOUTCasting!, which is unfortunately has radio nowhere in it*, but is almost always referred to as internet RADIO.

Here's my internet "radio" station"...
WROB Digital

There is also ECHOlink for the hammies (still NOT radio)
and
QSOnet, a "virtual ionosphere", a PC application for the hammies that "emulates" a radio and the ionosphere, but is still not radio.

*other than in the case where a "real" commecial radio station "simulcasts" its on-air program via streaming audio... and still that isn't internet "radio".

This has been around for a few years already..

In some ways are good..others it is useless..

Depends on point of view..
Other then buying the radio and paying for your ISP service/use..
The rest of a internet or wifi radio is free..

can be a good way to get many of your stations without using an antenna...especially if you used to live in one area and are now in a different area ( outside of typical radio broadcast range of your old station)..

There are Thousands of stations you can receive via internet radio though

Found this interesting opinion piece on Net radio that could shed new light on this topic as well as other radio related topics.........

Prometheus Background: Alternatives to LPFM

If you want (semi) Hi-Fi radio, and don't happen to own Clear Channel Communications, then LPFM (Low Power FM) is just about your only option. The problems, from the "broadcaster's*" standpoint, with LPFM are many. You're limited to ~100 Watts, the equipment is relatively expensive, and you have to go jump through some crazy hoops to get licensed. If you're lucky (or skilled) enough to get licensed, you then MUST stay on the air some certain number of hours per day/week/month. And, of course, you must have expensive equipment installed to handle the EBS. (Emergency Broadcast System). All this, of course, so you you can simply "broadcast" the audio from the movie you're playin at the drive-in you own.

It is rather ridiculous. Also, the Big Boys don't want you within 100 miles of "their" turf, so they will do anthing short of black-bagging you to keep you from getting that LPFM grant.

Some Senators (and Representatives) have unsuccessfully tried to "loosen" the regs of LPFM over the past few years, and failed.

GO PIRATE, Y'ALL!!!

* that would be YOU.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.