• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The radio with the best "cold weather" performance

OldManFuzzy

Jan 1, 1970
LaPorte, IN
There is NOTHING better than to ask for real-world experience!

;)

Cutting to the chase -- In your opinion, which modern (meaning manufactured nowadays) standard 40 channel AM/SSB radio offers the most stable-and-centered frequency performance in cold weather :?:

I am referring to an un-modified, out-of-the-box, straight up standard CB radio, with good receiver performance on AM & SSB, excellent sounding audio on AM & SSB, and dead-on-frequency, minimal (or no perceptable) frequency drift transmit performance...

Thanks (in advance) for all the help!

73!
ye OldManFuzzy

:p

Well Gents...

This is pretty impressive to find as many suggestions pointing to the same radio :!:

I guess that I'll have to find a good 'Grant' now, or put the Kenwood TS-480SAT back in the car :)

Just put an order in for a new Icom IC-7000 :roll: now I just have to wait for the big order to arrive :D WooHoo! Gonna use this one on the home station mor than likely.

Anyway...THANKS AGAIN for all your input -- I hope that I can be of help for you gent as well sometime down the path!

Very 73!

...ye OldManFuzzy

:p

My best "cold weather" radio......my faithful Uniden PC 122... :LOL: When you can leave a radio on the dash for 3-4 days of sub-zero NH weather then go out plowing or jump in on sno removal crew and just crack the ice off the 'tenny and talk away.I couldn't or wouldn't attempt that with my SS3900 or the new S-3 ;) ( their like me,need warmth 8) 8) )...

Snoope back quiet

Well-- I'm up in the cold country-- northern Ontario Canada-- the most solid most used radios up here are Connex , grants, and 148 for cold weather ssb rigs-- basically Uniden built stuff or Cobras
If you really want something for real cold weather you need a Spillsbury--- its what they use way up north in Alaska, Noth West Teritories and in the Artic circle-- its an older radio thats still used-- hard to find and very expensive for an older rig but nothing works as good
If you need something for REALLY cold weather you need a Spiullsbury-- nothing else will beat it-- but for just regular weather up to -35 c , the above mentioned are decent
I've used a Uniden PC122xl for awhile now and its not too bad for cold weather

Well for the last week I have used both my 95T and S-9 in -10 to -20 degree temps and had no problems at all. You have to keep adjusting the clarifier to stay on freq until they warm up but after that they stay right on. This is mainly SSB with some Am thrown in

OldManFuzzy said:
Well Gents...

This is pretty impressive to find as many suggestions pointing to the same radio :!:

I guess that I'll have to find a good 'Grant' now, or put the Kenwood TS-480SAT back in the car :)

Those are hard to beat-- and it gets -40 c regularly
Anything older made by Uniden seems to works great like mentioned above--- Connex radios might be another to seriously consider-- the ones with the pills in them work really nice up here
Again, for really cold weather NOTHING beats a Spillsbury-- they are still used today-- when the auroa skip comes in up here alot of the Eskimo's use them--cb is actually pretty active up there-- no phones so they use radios-- and alot of them still have these old Spillsbry's that still get out dam good--- actually alot of the outfitters up there rent them out for peo-ple going up north
Thats kinda for real cold weather, but if your around where I am or lower down, any of the above mentioned by others will work-- but if your gooing to see some rreal cold weather, find a Spillsbury

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.