• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Tram 3500 Magnet mount

David Waits

Oct 13, 2014
I bought one of these to run on my Grand Cherokee with a 148GTL. A little info here, height is about the same as a Wilson 5000, magnet is pretty much as strong. Merely jamming the whip all the way into the mount and tightening the set screws gave me a 1.1:1 match on 27.205. The the upper-end I checked, just shy of 10 meters, match was 1.5:1. Very surprising. Very little noise, good receive, and a good transmit range local, about fifteen miles with a 4 watt carrier swinging to 10 watts at 100% modulation. DX-range was also good, no trouble running from here in Ohio to Washington (The State) both ways on LSB. Comes with a fourteen foot length of mini-8 coax and a pl-259. For less than half the cost of a Wilson 5000 Mag-mount(They run $85.00 or so around here) , actually $28.00 and change at Walmart of all places, it's a heck of a buy.
Try one.

been looking at getting one myself for an extra antenna besides my k440 to handle more power if i get a 4 pill amp

I bought one of these to run on my Grand Cherokee with a 148GTL. A little info here, height is about the same as a Wilson 5000, magnet is pretty much as strong. Merely jamming the whip all the way into the mount and tightening the set screws gave me a 1.1:1 match on 27.205. The the upper-end I checked, just shy of 10 meters, match was 1.5:1. Very surprising. Very little noise, good receive, and a good transmit range local, about fifteen miles with a 4 watt carrier swinging to 10 watts at 100% modulation. DX-range was also good, no trouble running from here in Ohio to Washington (The State) both ways on LSB. Comes with a fourteen foot length of mini-8 coax and a pl-259. For less than half the cost of a Wilson 5000 Mag-mount(They run $85.00 or so around here) , actually $28.00 and change at Walmart of all places, it's a heck of a buy.
Try one.

Ive had one on my truck for 2 years awsome antenna great for talking skip

Try one.
I had one for nearly 3 yrs and somehow, water got in it finally. It was a GREAT antenna. And, just a bit over half the price of a Wilson. If I ever bought another one, I'd change the coax to LMR-240 and seal that dude immediately before installing.
(Fyi, I change all my mobile mounts and mag mounts to LMR-240. Just because of it's low loss capabilities. Great coax for mobiles, imho.)

Reactions: unit_399
I agree that Tram 3500 is pretty damn good.... I've had my Tram 3500 for 7 months because of a Farpoint Farms you-tube video where he shows it getting 18.5 miles on a 4 watt radio..... and that was on a little tiny trunk not even on the roof ( taller more metal area)

my Tram 3500 has been the best antenna I've ever owned!!!! my 1989 President Grant export is factory 12 watts AM/FM and 27 watts on SSB I talk 20 plus miles locally almost every time I try it out.... on SSB it talks all over the country... GREAT antenna! and cheap too!

Reactions: Jay Ambroziak
Seems to be discontinued
That's too bad, I've told a lot of people about that site .... Many bought one there and thanked me as it was a great antenna at a great price ,.. I knew Tram stopped making them and sold everything they had to discount supply houses for next to nothing.... I knew the supply would dry up eventually .. guess it's now..... I bought 4 of them, I liked it so much.. the last one I got for $31 bucks free shipping and no sales tax!!.... Seems Everytime they make a great product they stop making it ... But the same company that makes the Tram 3500 also makes the K-40 and the Wilson 1000.... One company bought up the other two .... So why make 3 antennas that are the basically the same.... In 20 years all my Tram 3500s will be broken and I'll get a Stryker AR 10 or a Siro 5000 performer.... Both are supposed to be much better than my Tram

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.