• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking about an HT

Mac83

Jun 10, 2011
I have been thinking about getting an HT to carry out with me while snowmobiling or in the truck.

I would like to be able to hook it up to a mag mount on the roof of my truck if thats possible.

I would also like to program it with my computer.

I am still new to the hobby and have been using a Yaesu FT-7800R as a base station. I don't have any of the programing software with it so using software with an HT would be a little bit of a learning curve.

I'm not looking to spend more then $180.

So far it seems like most people in my area use the 2 meter band. But a dual band might be good to have.

I have been reading reviews on the Baofengs and the Wouxuns.
I was just wondering what people might recommend me to start out with and what the options might be, like using a mag mount antenna and a mic.

Thanks.

Ive been a ham ten years now, never had an HT because i live in the Caribbean and there is no VHf traffic. so ive always worked HF DX

however lately i wanted to experiment with VHF, i just purchased two wouxuns, the dual band 2m and 70cm ones, 140 with programming cable, spoken to tons of guys, and i believe it was a good choice. will have it in my hands tonight if youd like further info.

Reactions: 1 person
Of the two choices you gave, I only know something about the Wouxun HT's, and I would recommend them. I would suggest a new one rather than used, and get the programming cable and antenna adapter for it. An extra battery would also be nice. The programming software is free, but get it, it's much easier than doing it by hand. Where to get one? Do like everyone else does, shop around for the best price.
They will certainly benefit from using a mobile antenna, but the supplied 'duck' isn't bad.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Your price point is going to lead you to the Wouxun (like everyone else said). The Baofeng is a little 2 watt disposable radio and, while pretty neat, is not the same quality as the Wouxun.

If you plan on running a mag mount external antenna with it, get the antenna adapter option with it.

What would be a good mag mount to use with the wouxun dual band ht?

yes, has anyone run one on an external antenna? I have been looking at this for my wouxun kguv6d. I looked at the antenna's at wouxun.us and found they had one on this page:

Wouxun Mag-Mount Antenna

on edit: here is another option:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/4443.html

but i personally would be looking for a full size antenna since i live in a very rural area,rather than that route, but I put that out in case if it would work for anyone that is closer to their repeaters and signals.

Last edited:
yes, has anyone run one on an external antenna? I have been looking at this for my wouxun kguv6d. I looked at the antenna's at wouxun.us and found they had one on this page:

Wouxun Mag-Mount Antenna

on edit: here is another option:
MFJ-332B MFJ-332S Magnetic Mount BNC, mfj332

but i personally would be looking for a full size antenna since i live in a very rural area,rather than that route, but I put that out in case if it would work for anyone that is closer to their repeaters and signals.

I've used antennas like that first link you posted. They're cheap, easily obtainable and inconspicuous. The coax on them is usually pretty lossy, but that issue is often outweighed by the fact that you're getting the antenna outside of the vehicle. Keep in mind that it's just a basic 1/4 wave whip antenna. You can do a lot better if you really want to.

I notice that in your original post that you mention the possibility of using the handie whilst snowmobiling.

The Wouxans are very good radios, especially at their current price structure (They are even cheap over here in the U.K.!)...But their ability to reject water ingress is not a strong point with them.

If you need an H/T that will stand up to that kind of environment, then I would recommend the Yaesu FT-270 | eBay .

It is Protected against water ingress to IPX7 specifications (submersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3 feet)....Virtually bombproof front end, extremely robust and 'sips' at the battery whilst producing 5 watts of R.F output.

I have 5 270's and 1 170 and use them in fairly extreme conditions, (mountain ranges)in all weather and have had no problems with them at all.....I also use the MH 54 speaker mic with them as the internal mic has a membrane cover over it to keep moisture out.

Regards, Ken.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.