• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This for real or BS?

If I wanted an antenna that could handle more than the imax 2000, I would buy an antenna that can handle more than an imax 2000.

What they are doing is more than modifying said antenna, they are building an entirely new antenna. By their own words they are replacing not only the antenna element inside the antenna, but fitting drastically different coils and by extension matching system as well. They are also using your lack of knowledge to try and sell it to you. For example, one of their points...

I can use from 10 to as large as 4 gauge copper wire for the antenna elements (thats about 4-16 times thicker than the other fiberglass Antennas which typically use 14-16 gauge wire). Thicker wire means a few things such as less loss and lower RF resistance (which translates to higher efficiency). Thicker wire also means it can effectively handle and transfer 4 to 16 times more current, which means if you're running some serious power, more of your wattage will be effectively radiated by the antenna and less will be "wasted" as just heat.

According to modeling, going from a 14 AWG to a 4 AWG copper antenna element will increase efficiency by a whopping 0.46%. That is far below anything you would ever notice. And 14 AWG wire can already handle several thousand watts of RF to begin with. That model was done in free space, if I modeled said elements in an environment that includes an earth, the difference would have been even less...

And the comment on one of their pictures...

Here in this picture, I took out the IMAX 2000 "double" layered small and lossy puny inductor (see how small it is, does this look more like an efficient antenna coil, or does it resemble more like a wire wound resistor?) I'll let you decide.

Nope, it doesn't look like a wire wound resistor at all, and if you think it does then you misunderstand how a wire-wound resistor works. Unless you are handling many thousands of watts, the diameter of the coils is much to thick, and there simply isn't enough of it. Said coil would have to be much much longer (even takign into consideration that it is double layered) for it to act like a wire wound resistor. I would also say that it really isn't that puny as the Imax antenna is rated at 2000 watts to begin with. In my book, any coil that can handle 2000 watts is not puny...

I got those links from this page on their site. A lot of what they say on this site is based on hopes and dreams, and you the customer's lack of knowledge. I could go on taking their arguments apart, such as their air core vs plastic core bs (actually, the plastic is only a form, not a core, just like the PVC used in most air chokes, but don't tell them that)...

Seriously, if you need an upgrade from an imax antenna, then you really should just go and buy a new antenna...

The DB

If I wanted an antenna that could handle more than the imax 2000, I would buy an antenna that can handle more than an imax 2000.

What they are doing is more than modifying said antenna, they are building an entirely new antenna. By their own words they are replacing not only the antenna element inside the antenna, but fitting drastically different coils and by extension matching system as well. They are also using your lack of knowledge to try and sell it to you. For example, one of their points...

According to modeling, going from a 14 AWG to a 4 AWG copper antenna element will increase efficiency by a whopping 0.46%. That is far below anything you would ever notice. And 14 AWG wire can already handle several thousand watts of RF to begin with. That model was done in free space, if I modeled said elements in an environment that includes an earth, the difference would have been even less...

And the comment on one of their pictures...

Nope, it doesn't look like a wire wound resistor at all, and if you think it does then you misunderstand how a wire-wound resistor works. Unless you are handling many thousands of watts, the diameter of the coils is much to thick, and there simply isn't enough of it. Said coil would have to be much much longer (even takign into consideration that it is double layered) for it to act like a wire wound resistor. I would also say that it really isn't that puny as the Imax antenna is rated at 2000 watts to begin with. In my book, any coil that can handle 2000 watts is not puny...

I got those links from this page on their site. A lot of what they say on this site is based on hopes and dreams, and you the customer's lack of knowledge. I could go on taking their arguments apart, such as their air core vs plastic core bs (actually, the plastic is only a form, not a core, just like the PVC used in most air chokes, but don't tell them that)...

Seriously, if you need an upgrade from an imax antenna, then you really should just go and buy a new antenna...

The DB

I've tinkered around 14-10 awg seems work well. Larger 8-6 tried came to conclusion was waiste of money 14-10 awg worked fine and very pleased. Just article looked to good to be true aka a lot of BS seemed to be.

I can't believe this guy is still selling his BS antenna design crap after all these years. All you need to know about his understanding of basic antenna design is in the section where he describes how his coil is better designed than the Imax. He fails to understand that the Imax coils comprise a matching network, while his design is a loading coil, used to shorten an antenna.

The 50ft co-linear antenna he sells looks about crazy as all get out. Wonder what they cost LOL!!

justvran across this for modification of imax 2000 and also these other antennas for CB as well as Amateur bands hmmm.

http://www.bighairantennas.com/index.html

Any input? Anyone ever used this or had imax 2000 ect modified?

You don't need to modify them. They'll have a SWR below 2:1 for 10,11,12 and 15m exactly how they come out of the box new with no adjustment.

If you look at his modified coil, he really slates the stock wire that runs up the antenna saying its rubbish for power handling but then appears to make his own coil out of the very same wire ensuring the power handling is the same.

Given the amount of modification done you'd be better just sending him three 8ft lengths of fibreglass tubing and telling him to build an antenna from that.

Mine is fantastic my 259 shows me excellent numbers as far as SWR's are concerned, why is crap like this out their?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.