• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

THIS IS IT! I NEED AN ANTENNNA SWITH.

If you have in your area "YARD SALES/GARAGE SALES" look around, you would be surprised what you can find.
Last Saturday I stumbled on a box full of wires etc. I sat in the shade and rumbled thru it. Wala, I found a really nice Avanti Vertical/Horizontal switching box in perfect condition, stainless case @ that for $1.00. It is perfect for my TWO radio set-up. Also got (2) of the large foam jumper cables $0.50 each, and a inline SWR Tester for $1.00. It's out there, be patient. People that have CB stuff is getting rid of it, just ask.
555 3's and good evening to you/yours

I have a MFJ-1702. I used it to switch between radios sharing the same antenna. I either turned off the radio I wasn't using or turned it's rf gain all the way down while using the other radio to prevent overload.

Last edited:
:laugh::LOL:(y) BINGO!!!

As a note, beware that some cheap switches are nothing more than a single pole double throw toggle switch and are crap. The better switches are housed in a metal box and is not a simple toggle switch and look like this inside. This is the Diawa CS-201 switch.

IMG_5946.jpg

Yeah; the one I have/use looks just like the one you have on the inside. No doubt just re-branded and re-packaged. But they are really built quite strong. Took mine apart and cleaned the switch and put some decent grease on the ball bearing/moving block ass'y.

I'd buy another if I needed one, as the fair price and decent quality are both there - IMO.

:laugh::LOL:(y) BINGO!!!

As a note, beware that some cheap switches are nothing more than a single pole double throw toggle switch and are crap. The better switches are housed in a metal box and is not a simple toggle switch and look like this inside. This is the Diawa CS-201 switch.

Yeah; the one I have/use looks just like the one you have on the inside. No doubt just re-branded and re-packaged. But they are really built quite strong. Took mine apart and cleaned the switch and put some decent grease on the ball bearing/moving block ass'y (circled).

I'd buy another if I needed one, as the fair price and decent quality are both there - IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_5946.jpg
    IMG_5946.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Brand:MFJ
Manufacturer's Part Number:MFJ-1702
Part Type:Antenna Switches, Manual
Product Line:MFJ 1702 Antenna Switches
DXE Part Number:MFJ-1702
Antenna Switch Positions:2-port
Antenna Switch Connector Type:UHF female, SO-239
Switch Impedance:50 ohms
Switch Insertion Loss:Less than 0.20 dB
Switch Isolation:More than 60 dB
All Ports Grounded Position:No
Power Rating (0 to 30 MHz):2,500 W PEP/1,000 W CW
....................................................................................

This is the spec sheet for the MFJ switch that Robb recommends. They claim that the switch has an impedance of 50 ohms. I don't understand this, as I see nothing resistive, capacitive or inductive about it. Can anyone explain how the impedance of this switch is caalculated ???

Eh? If you are asking me - wouldn't have a clue. Perhaps MFJ's technical writer didn't have his morning coffee? Either way, if it is a Daiwa or re-badged for MFJ, it is still the same box. It really is built very solid. The box is of course a machined casting; not a lightweight switch in a p-box whatsoever. But for the price it surely beats the crap out of those really cheap CB antenna switches - which have so little separation and poor insulation they really should be embarrassed to put their logo on it. For ~$20, it kicks the crap out of the competition. Now, that is a recommendation.

Brand:MFJ
Manufacturer's Part Number:MFJ-1702
Part Type:Antenna Switches, Manual
Product Line:MFJ 1702 Antenna Switches
DXE Part Number:MFJ-1702
Antenna Switch Positions:2-port
Antenna Switch Connector Type:UHF female, SO-239
Switch Impedance:50 ohms
Switch Insertion Loss:Less than 0.20 dB
Switch Isolation:More than 60 dB
All Ports Grounded Position:No
Power Rating (0 to 30 MHz):2,500 W PEP/1,000 W CW
....................................................................................

This is the spec sheet for the MFJ switch that Robb recommends. They claim that the switch has an impedance of 50 ohms. I don't understand this, as I see nothing resistive, capacitive or inductive about it. Can anyone explain how the impedance of this switch is caalculated ???

Perhaps the silver plated straps inside the formed metal pathways present a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms just like coax cable does. Perhaps it was tested with a VNA. The most likely answer however is that since MFJ knew it would be used in a 50 ohm system and since the impedance bump it created is not too bad (similar to PL-259's creating an impedance bum) they simply threw bullshit to the wind and called it a 50 ohm switch. :laugh:

Eh? If you are asking me - wouldn't have a clue. Perhaps MFJ's technical writer didn't have his morning coffee? Either way, if it is a Daiwa or re-badged for MFJ, it is still the same box. It really is built very solid. The box is of course a machined casting; not a lightweight switch in a p-box whatsoever. But for the price it surely beats the crap out of those really cheap CB antenna switches - which have so little separation and poor insulation they really should be embarrassed to put their logo on it. For ~$20, it kicks the crap out of the competition. Now, that is a recommendation.

I agree 100%, Robb. I wasn't questioning the quality of the item, just the 50 ohm impedance spec.

Perhaps the silver plated straps inside the formed metal pathways present a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms just like coax cable does. Perhaps it was tested with a VNA. The most likely answer however is that since MFJ knew it would be used in a 50 ohm system and since the impedance bump it created is not too bad (similar to PL-259's creating an impedance bum) they simply threw bullshit to the wind and called it a 50 ohm switch. :laugh:

Yeah! What he said. ;O

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.