• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tips and suggestions for first hf rig

Streetglideok

Jan 11, 2010
Colorado
Ok, so I finally upgraded my mobile vhf to a D710. Now a friend from another website and I are assessing what to get for HF. Both of us are licensed generals, with no hf experience. He has a house, I have an apartment. We've brought up the icom 718 and 7200, the yaseu 450(all flavors), 857 and 897, and kenwood 480(both flavors), and I threw in the alinco sr8. We have no 10m repeaters along this side of Colorado, but there are some 6m repeaters. Obviously the 7200 and 450 will not require filters, but the rest use mechanical filters at varying expense. How much of a need is there for the narrower filters for ssb work? I think both of us want radios that could be made portable, possibly mobile. Looking for anyone with experience with these rigs, their input, likes and dislikes. I've also thought about the older yaesu rigs, 757, 890, and 900.

I have an Icom IC718. Neat little rig for the money, and mine came with the DSP (all the new ones do now). I added an Inrad 1.8 kHz filter, and it helps a LOT with noise and bleedover. Really tightened up the rig. Good audio reports with the stock mic. That being said, I'm not sure it's what I would buy if I were looking at a new rig. I don't have any experience using any of the other rigs you mentioned, sorry. No FM on the Icom 718 or 7200 though. I'm currently looking at a do-it-all unit for the mobile, and considering the Yaesu FT-847D and the Icom 7000.

RT307

I've done pretty good with my 718 in spite of its drawbacks such as SSB/CW filters (mercy the rig needs them!) and no 6 meters or FM. I will say this about the little rig, it is a workhorse. I work at home and keep the rig running digital modes in a remote desktop window on one of my work monitors. This radio runs sometimes 12 hours a day on the bands. My current log for just digital contacts is in the neighborhood of 11,000 which doesn't count the SSB/CW contacts I make (couple hundred a year). I've owned the rig since 2006 so I have to say, for the price, it's not the worst choice you could make. I would never spend the money on the filters because I'm too cheap and I can't see putting $400 in filters into a $550 (what I paid when I bought it new) rig. As I said, I'm cheap.:tongue:

I am looking at all the same radios. Love the price and looks of the Icom 718 But I to would not spend money to put in extra filters. Also looking at A rig with an internal tuner Kenwood 480s-at I read the reviews on the Icom 7200 and the radio sounds easy to use with most features on the front panel. I also look at rigs with HF,VHF,UHF, 6 meters and think is this to much will it break or need to be retuned etc. I think I am leaning towards the Icom 7200...

I've owned the 7200 as well. I liked it very much. Didn't care much for the small screen, but it's built like a tank. I mostly work CW and the 7200 met all my needs.

I'd own another one.

I'm a Kenwood fan so would recommend something they make/made. New stuff is nice, but used stuff is usually more economical (cheaper). I also tend to favor a buit-in tuner, just makes things easier to deal with in some cases. If I had the choice I would not get an all-in-one radio, HF/VHF/UHF all in the same box. Although, if someone would generously give me a TS-2000, believe me I wouldn't turn it down! Since that 'kind' person hasn't shown up yet, and since I can't afford a TS-2000, I have a TS-480SAT. I've used it mobile and fixed and it does just dandy. So, guess what I would recommend??
You have to decide what you 'like', what style, method of programming, and which 'extra' features you just gotta have. Keep in mind that very few people ever get it completely 'right' the first time...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.