• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TM-D700A

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Anyone here have one? Got a 'nibble' at a very nice price, just not sure if it's what I'm looking for. Any information, good, bad, indifferent would be appreciated.
- 'Doc

I had one and sold it so I can buy the 710 which I will buy in Dayton, the only thing I didnt like is you cannot adjust the mic from sounding so "tinny" because I have a tinny voice as it is. But other than that its all good Doc.

Can you find out what version of firmware it has, if it is a G version and you got a good price nab it up (y)

JK_RUBICON,
I have no idea what the version is. The model is a TM-D700A, if that tells you. Is the firmware upgradeable without a lot of trouble?
- 'Doc

Big display, very readable. Very nice alphanumeric with digit display. Memories are the same on both 'sides', so it's a true dual receive radio.

TNC works great for general purpose use, very handy.

Great crossband, good manual and easy to set up.

Software from Kenwood will allow you to set the mic gain and Kenwood doesn't charge for their software where others do.

One of these will absolutely be my shack VHF/UHF repeater radio soon, it's just in the budget forecast pool for now.

Odd you should mention that about setting mic-gain (deviation) by means of the menus, I've looked for that on the '708, and in the manual for the '700, and so far no luck at all. Where is it, or what do 'they' call it? I've run into that 'problem' with the '708 too, by the way the control heads for both radios are the same. Not that it always has to be adjusted, but it seems odd that an adjustment isn't offered. I do NOT like the idea of opening up the case with these newer radios. Oh I will, once, just to satisfy my curiosity, but thats it. Can't even see half the @#$ SMT parts anymore, and I don't do 'micro-surgery' ;)!
That's something else, where/what kind of 'control' programs are available for the '700? Haven't had much time to do any looking yet. Since I've gone another route for APRS (Byonic's 'Micro-Track'), I think the '700 will be in the house, rather than the truck. (Who knows, that's subject to any 'wild hair' that just happens along, you know?)
The way this is going, should have named this the "Everything known to man I ever want to know about the TM-D700A condensed into words of one syllable or less" thread. Oh well...
- 'Doc

The mic gain is only software via PC adjustable.

Here's the link, you could probably download it and see what settings it shows.

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/tmd700a_700e_soft.html

A big pet peeve of mine with VHF/UHF radios is the lack of true mic gain settings. Many have a wide/nar deviation setting that a manual will refer to as a mic gain, but of course that isn't what 'we' want.

I hate most stock mics for either sounding thin or being too small for my hands. It's much harder than it should be to match replacement mics to many rigs now.

The bonus is, they do it with software for this radio and the stock mic is actually pretty solid and sounds good as well.

-AAAAAAAAAHHHH-

I think I give up. I've got the radio programming application and there is no microphone gain/volume/deviation adjustment. The only 'gain'/volume adjustment is for the 'beeps' and the 'VS-1' "voice" announcement option in the normally accessed menus. I've seen reference to the 'Service Menu', but can find nothing about accessing this menu. [The 'Wide/Narrow' adjustment is only for the 'E' (TM-D700E) model, not for the 'A' (TM-D700A) model.]
Man, I sure liked things better when there were only "Door #1, or Door #2" choices!
- 'Doc

Sorry about that, if I find a more direct link I'll post it.

People write up all the time that mic gain is adjustable via that application...maybe it's internet legend?

The simplex guys around here all prefer the Kenwood because of that feature and indeed their audio is loud compared to iCom and Yaesu stock output.

Doc, there is NO deviation setting for the 700 EXCEPT in the E version, Europe, makes no sense to me :confused:

You can see if the G version is on the back of the radio by the serial number.

You could even check the box if it has a G on it near the serial number.

The deviation level stinks that it cannot be adjusted.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.