• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To new Op's on 10 meters from an "Elmer"

BJ radionut

Supporting Member and 6m addict
May 9, 2008
35 miles East of Indianapolis
I figure this will most likely start a fire storm...but just my thoughts from the last few weeks with the band starting to come around...
MHO on good SSB operation:
1: Do not become a kronic QSLer
EX: QSL QSL Mike, I know what you mean I do it myself QSL...QSL QSL Mike I am running 25watts also QSL
2: Below 29.500Mhz...your Roger Beeper is turned OFF
no reason for it!
3: Turn off your feedback(talk-back) audio through the speaker...you sound like your in a 55 gal drum...
OK with headphones...but otherwise Nada!

4: You are never QRT/QSX/QSY or "On the side"
EX: how about simply "(your call)off and clear" or "(your call) now listening" or (your call) moving to 28XXX

5:QSK...does not mean break on SSB!
Simply state your call in a break in the conversation and you will be acknowledged.

6: Echo with ZERO sustain time and at minimum setting will be acceptable...if no one has noticed...otherwise leave it OFF...

7:They are not called PILLS in your Linear
They are transistors in your amplifier...

8: the term is 73....not 73's...and no other numbers are required either
9: There is no such term as CHECK,CHECK

Ok enough for now I know I have heard others lately just can not recall all of them this second...

No I will not make a big deal of any of this "On the Air" except those silly D*** beepers...
and I will politely ask that you turn it off...

I am just stating MO on what I think is good practice after almost 30 years with my call...I am not the prefect one...I have stood corrected myself...just my thoughts and now putting on the flame suit...
All the Best
BJ

Last edited:

I know what you mean about QSL. There was a guy on yesterday and after everything he said, he said QSL. Even if he was answering. Very annoying.

I haven't heard the beeps but have heard QRT and standing by

Hey Donnie, Got the new tower up and triband beam. I have more work to do but, it's up. I also just picked up a 5 element 6 meter beam. Hoping to get that up soon. Hoping to here you on 10m. I will be monitoring tomorrow.

'BJ',
You might go ahead and put on that fire retardant suit, but you probably won't have to seal it... yet. :)
Most of the 'buzz-words' you hear are usually the result of the one using them not being very familiar with their meaning/usage, or the language being spoken. They are handy for those whose native language is not the same as what's being used in a contact. And that's fine, no problem with that. That goes for whatever 'language' in use, radio, computer, flying, sailing, gourmet cooking, whatever. There are a few very specialized 'buzz-words' that I find very handy, 'thingys', and 'do-dads' are a couple of them, and can be 'translated' to mean just about anything you want them to mean. They are also handy 'cuz they tell the listener that you probably have absolutely no idea what you're saying and that they should make some allowances for that, sort of. (Also nice if your memory isn't exactly 'photographic' and you just forgot what the #3:: that word was.)
After that, it's more or less one of those 'bragging', or nervousness, or 'newbys' thingys. Everyone's been there, some just out grow it faster than others. Probably means the 'user' hasn't listened a lot, yet.
Using just plain old English (substitute whatever language you want here) makes a lot of sense unless there's a particular reason for not doing so. Think about it. You wouldn't use 'Democratic' words at a 'Republican' convention, would you, except for very specific reasons? ('Nuther place where you can substitute any 'affiliation' name you want. Well, almost, I do have limits.)
Having expressed that opinion, I'm 'QRU and V' and 'QSX' and 'QRT' and standing by...
good buddy.
- 'Doc

(wearing my fire retardant underwear!)

when we're on the air, lotsa thingys annoy the hell outta us. the annunciation of 'hi hi' being 1 of them. and as for you bj:
1. chronic QSLer? i send one to most 6m contacts
2. fm should be used far away from me, but roger beep users should be shot
3. re:talkbacks, see #2
4. i usually lean over the side of my chair, or, exhibit the 'gangster lean' while driving-over the center console to write call signs if i'm on the ham bands, or out the window to get a better view of gangbangers. so why can't i say 'on the side' if i AM on the side???
5. yeah, if i need to butt in, i just....BUTT IN
6. echo??????????????????????????? see #2 AGAIN
7. i take 'pills' when the idiots are on the air....valium. then i let loose with some HD power from my valve-amplifier....it loves to eat pills
8. seven-three, seventy-three, seventy THREES......maybe he just wants to send EXTRA very good wisheseseseses.......eseses.....
9. check check??? i use that term daily when asked for money from the gas station, supermarket, heating oil co, finance co, mortgage co, etc. check? check? what check? you want a check? i have no money left....i'm a ham

i've seen this question asked before, on the zed. i like the way the hams on the zed make fun of cbers with their fake (the cbers) redneck accent. been listening on 10m lately? there's TONS of redneck accents out there now! they're all from down south. REALLY!

When I am on any band and want to acknowledge a question I say yes or OK and rodger is a man's name and not an acknowledgement. No means negative and kiss my ass means I don't want to talk to a person any longer.

How's that for redneck or is it just proper grammar and human nature?

Just because I've been bitten by using it incorrectly (not a criticism), "Roger" means only that something has been received, a carry-over of the "R" on CW. Doesn't mean 'yes', or that you agree/disagree or understand it, just that you've received whatever it was.
Doesn't really matter in most cases, but it certainly can, so 'assuming' it means one thing when it doesn't can get you 'bitten' if you aren't careful.
Same thing can be said for almost anything you hear on any of the bands. If you're not sure, just ask for it in plain English. Asking for a clarification doesn't mean YOU are 'dumb'...
- 'Doc

One of my pet peeves is when people say "we" when they mean "I". And I sometimes do it myself, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Haha, I started a thread about that on the Zed.

"We are not amused". lol

DOC:
Thanks for the smile while reading your post...much much truth and the common sense (which is lacking in some cases now days)approach...I like it

I must add this to my original list

#10: Operators have NAMES

We do not have personals...1st personals or ANY personals we discuss, except with our wives/girlfriends off the air... RR...
smiles again!
All the Best
BJ

leave the Q codes to the CW OPS..HIHI
Question on my Advanced exam.When to use Q codes on phone.Correct answer, never. Also for the techs, when operating on 28.500,USB,you are out of band.I heard alot of techs doing this.
Rich

Question on my Advanced exam.When to use Q codes on phone.Correct answer, never.

What are the restrictions on the use of abbreviations or procedural signals in the amateur service?
A. They may be used if they do not obscure the meaning of a message
B. Only "Q" codes are permitted
C. Only "10-codes" are permitted
D. They are not permitted because they obscure the meaning of a message to FCC monitoring stations

but, i do agree, they don't "belong" on fone

-A-
Would be my answer. Of course, there would be qualifications to that, as in, what if someone didn't know what those abbreviations meant. 'Q' signals would stand a better chance than most, but with the same qualifications, naturally. If 'they' understand English, then plain English is the best choice. I not, then the 'Q' signals. Same qualifications, again. Gotta be 'qualified' for all this ... stuff, you know?
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.