• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To new Op's on 10 meters from an "Elmer"

I figure this will most likely start a fire storm...but just my thoughts from the last few weeks with the band starting to come around...
MHO on good SSB operation:
1: Do not become a kronic QSLer
EX: QSL QSL Mike, I know what you mean I do it myself QSL...QSL QSL Mike I am running 25watts also QSL
2: Below 29.500Mhz...your Roger Beeper is turned OFF
no reason for it!
3: Turn off your feedback(talkback) audio through the speaker...you sound like your in a 55 gal drum...
OK with headphones...but otherwise nada!

4: You are never QRT/QSX/QSY or "On the side"
EX: how about simply "(your call)off and clear" or "(your call) now listening" or (your call) moving to 28XXX

5:QSK...does not mean break on SSB!
Simply state your call in a break in the conversation and you will be ackowledged.

6: Echo with ZERO sustain time and at minimum setting will be acceptable...if no one has noticed...otherwise leave it OFF...

7:They are not called PILLS in your Linear
They are transistors in your amplifier...

8: the term is 73....not 73's...and no other numbers are required either
9: There is no such term as CHECK,CHECK

Ok enough for now I know I have heard others lately just can not recall all of them this second...

No I will not make a big deal of any of this "On the Air" except those silly D*** beepers...
and I will politely ask that you turn it off...

I am just stating MO on what I think is good practice after almost 30 years with my call...I am not the prefect one...I have stood corrected myself...just my thoughts and now putting on the flame suit...
All the Best
BJ

Those are pet peeves of mine! Thanks for posting that.

(y) I think that it needed to be said, i find myself doing a lot more listening to am talk radio, just because there are a lot less idiots on there than 2mtrs. on the drive home most of the time.

What a bunch of chicken shit complants.

How about the older experienced so called Elmers not being such a bunch of tight asses. I would think the stations you talk to having a good conversation is much more important. This is a good example of why ham radio gets its unfriendly reputation, QSL Ten-4.

I am thinking of a new Q Code mixed in with Ten Code numbers to indicate your echo mic quality, overmodulation percentage, how many pills you have, ect. Maybe even a Q/Ten Code for the level of unfriendiness of the Elmer that has been talking down to you.

Jay in the Mojave

I figure this will most likely start a fire storm...but just my thoughts from the last few weeks with the band starting to come around...
MHO on good SSB operation:
1: Do not become a kronic QSLer
EX: QSL QSL Mike, I know what you mean I do it myself QSL...QSL QSL Mike I am running 25watts also QSL
2: Below 29.500Mhz...your Roger Beeper is turned OFF
no reason for it!
3: Turn off your feedback(talkback) audio through the speaker...you sound like your in a 55 gal drum...
OK with headphones...but otherwise nada!

4: You are never QRT/QSX/QSY or "On the side"
EX: how about simply "(your call)off and clear" or "(your call) now listening" or (your call) moving to 28XXX

5:QSK...does not mean break on SSB!
Simply state your call in a break in the conversation and you will be ackowledged.

6: Echo with ZERO sustain time and at minimum setting will be acceptable...if no one has noticed...otherwise leave it OFF...

7:They are not called PILLS in your Linear
They are transistors in your amplifier...

8: the term is 73....not 73's...and no other numbers are required either
9: There is no such term as CHECK,CHECK

Ok enough for now I know I have heard others lately just can not recall all of them this second...

No I will not make a big deal of any of this "On the Air" except those silly D*** beepers...
and I will politely ask that you turn it off...

I am just stating MO on what I think is good practice after almost 30 years with my call...I am not the prefect one...I have stood corrected myself...just my thoughts and now putting on the flame suit...
All the Best
BJ

'What a bunch of chicken shit complants'-exactly the reason for my rebuttal post. i don't like listening to newscasters on TV with their generic accents. they ALL came from somewhere......speak like you speak! same goes for ham radio. and HAVE FUN YOU @&#%$*@(($&^!)$($'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sheeeeeesh. it's a HOBBY, i still wonder just exactly what some hams think it is they are doing......

Gentlemen operators:
I offered nothing more than constructive criticism in regards to what I thought was good operating protocol for new operators on 10 meters.
These were nothing more than suggestions I offered to new students while I was instructing preceptive new Novice operators while I was an examiner/instructor years ago.
I thought I made it clear I made no attempt to ridicule or embarrass any operators during a conversation on or off the air.
I offered these in the hope it would enhance their experience in to Amateur Radio and make it a more enjoyable to them and to all operators.
I stand by my opinions and respect your right to have yours.
All the Best
BJ

welcome to the wonderful world of hf ,
reason you hear stuff like this on ten is because of all the
11 meter equipment that will run on ten ,
wont hear roger beeps and echo boxes on 17 mtrs
and
all the eleven meter operators , now running on ten ;-)

it wont change , bitch all you want ,
wanna get away from it ?
upgrade your license ,

Elmering the new influx of hams, that is what i do.

There are 2 worlds CB and HAM.

Both quite unique, no need to get at eachothers throat.
I only come on the hambands, but in the early 70's was on CB as well, but today's 11 meter has no look and feel with those times today.

I help out as ham, beeing it an ham, or cber, i don't differenciate here.
But when you go to hambands there is an difference, try to behave like an ham there.

If i drive my bike, there are different rules on the road as driving my van or an articulated lorry (truck)

I do all three, and keep to the road regulations that go with the transport i use at that time.

just my 2 € cents worth..

From just my casual observations listening to 28.400 the last few weeks, I think by and large the new guys are doing a good job. The biggest problem I see so far is being off frequency by more than 100 HZ for alot of the guys.

This may very well be a case of what N9RZD was talking about---Galaxies, Magnums and Connexes (Connexi?) and such radios being on the air without being correctly aligned or operated.

As far as being more that 100Hz off center.
Many 10 meter radios only have 5 digit counter. Even with the six digit, its right at the resolution of the display. You could also blame open clarifiers.
AM-only CB radios dont need a stable frequency reference like SSB does.
But i think alot of SSB 10 meter radios use the same sloppy freq reference that the AM-only radios do. Sloppy means drifting with temperature.

To bad we cant make 28.085 an AM calling frequency.
It would give the truckers who like to run CH19-F a run for their money.

It's not just the 5 digit freq counter--sometimes it is the stupid "fine" and "course" dual clarifiers on the exports. That can case alot of trouble since the "fine" usually only adjusts RX, while the "course" changes both RX/TX. At least that's how my Galaxy is, and I think it's dumb. It is far too easy to be receiving a couple hundred HZ off, since even with 6 digits the freq display will track with the fine clarifier, even though the TX freq is staying the same.

The only solution is to leave the fine clarifier EXACTLY on center slot, and then don't mess with it. Tune to ear with the course clarifier, and you'll be good to go. But if your radio hasn't been aligned properly, you won't know where the exact center slot is on the fine clarifier.

Just get a ham rig instead of a cb and tune them in until they sound the most natural. Forget about being on the same exact frequency. If they keep on moving frequency use your RIT. Been doing it for years it works.

You can do that with the export radios as well, that's not the point. I think that these 10 meter/export radios are fine for a ten meter radio, they just need to be set up right and operated correctly.

Alot of guys DO have an all band HF rig next to the export---sometimes its nice to play PSK31 on 20 meters while monitoring 28.400 with your old Galaxy. That's what I'm doing. My 847 does HF nicely, thankyou very much, but my DX2517 rocks on ten meters, and it's fun to have on while doing other stuff with the 847.

The clarifier, whether "fine" or "coarse", should ONLY affect the receiver. It's not meant to change the transmitter frequency; you use it to make the other guy sound right to you, and he uses his to make you sound right to him. If you only change the receiver's frequency, everything is fine.

But if you start changing a "locked" clarifier, your transmit frequency is going to change a bit, so he has to readjust his clarifier, and if his is locked also, you'll be changing yours.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.