• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Too good to be true?

redbeast

Aug 14, 2016
Just found a Galaxy 959 for sale for$75. Ummm, don't think I'll pass this up.....sellers sez still in box w/instrs & mic, sez it looks like its never been used. So, a coupla stupid ?s. Will a cobra style power plugwork with this unit, that way i could check it on my cars system.....and are there any telltale signs without breaking it open?? Im guessing that for that kind of $ I really cant go wrong.

Yes 3 pin cobra power plug with fit galaxy radio. To test on the spot -

-You can hook it up to your antenna and try to get a radio check
-If you have a SWR/Power Meter you can check output
- You can try to see on the built in meter if the needle moves during transmit
- You can listen for static when the radio is on and the volume should go up and down with the volume knob

Yes 3 pin cobra power plug with fit galaxy radio. To test on the spot -

-You can hook it up to your antenna and try to get a radio check
-If you have a SWR/Power Meter you can check output
- You can try to see on the built in meter if the needle moves during transmit
- You can listen for static when the radio is on and the volume should go up and down with the volume knob
Yup, that was pretty much my plan, glad to hear cobra plug will work. Know my setup talks, so should be quick and easy check. Anyone know if there are clones out there, guessing not, but it dont hurt to ask.

That's probably about the best 75 bucks you'll ever spend assuming it works okay.
Well, to quote our friend Rob...."Yup"!!! Went to check out the galaxy and it turned out to be a cobra 29 NW LTD classic. It was, however, in a galaxy box, the woman selling it had no clue. I felt bad, so checked the unit, like she said, looked like it had never/hardly been used. Worked just fine, but I walked away. Sigh, oh well.....worth the shot. I told her to repost it @ the $75 and to not take less than $50 , it was built in 03.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
For a used unknown 959 75-100 is where I would want to be anyway. You could have offered her 40-50 bucks for the 29 and kept it as a spare. If it was that nice you would be ok at that price.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
For a used unknown 959 75-100 is where I would want to be anyway. You could have offered her 40-50 bucks for the 29 and kept it as a spare. If it was that nice you would be ok at that price.
Yeah, thought about that, could have got it for less than that; but 1) was looking to see a " like new " 959, and 2) didn't really need the 29, and 3) can use all the karma I can get.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.