• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Took the Tech. test today!

IMG_0004.jpg

Yeppers it can get expensive fairly quick, that's for sure. You can get some decent prices on some used stuff though. I joined a club, some of those folks have shelves full of the stuff. When you go with a fm vhf or uhf to take advantage of your tech license make sure that it's new enough to have a tone board for the pl tones or you won't be able to access a lot of the repeaters.
mike

First thing I did after passing my test, is bought a Yaesu FT-8800, Samlex 23 amp power supply, Diamond NR-770 mobile antenna, Diamond X-50 base antenna - & 35 ft of LMR-240 coax. I use one radio between my base and my mobile. Sure it was a bit of money; but it covered two distinct uses for the same radio. So - I saved some money - if you look at it that way. You can do the same thing with used gear instead of new gear - and save even more money.

I use my 10 meter/export radio - I just turn down the modulation and turn off the echo. Get great reports from just about every Ham both DX/local. Of course your Tech license has limitations on 10 meters; but it is a fun band to work!

I like the idea Rob. Same transceiver for base and mobile. And I was told a bunch of the local Hams have lots of used stuff laying around so I can probably get me a transceiver for a song and dance. I already have a P.S. so a couple antennas are needed with some coax. I'm trying not to jump in over my head on this stuff but it will happen soon. Thanks for the idea.

Hey - Congrats Jerry! (y)

I found the General to be pretty redundant of the Tech with a bit more emphasis on antennas and electronics - I'm sure you'll have no problem passing it. ;) Congrats again!

Thanks to everyone! I got my Call Sign the other day and have been talking on 2-meters with a H.T. as much as possible. Now all the regulars in town know me. I put my call in my Sig. Line.

Thanks again to all and I will be working on the general test next.(y)

Congrats (y) Colorado springs in a beautiful place. I have an uncle that lives there. I go every chance I get to, hunting or visit. What is the freq. for the local repeater? I'll get on it next time i'm in town.

I hope to be testing shortly. First I have to find someone nearby that I can ask the 20 or so questions I have written down. Then I need to connect up with the local group that holds the testing. (if there is one).

Living 5 miles from a red light is nice, but the scarcity of people up here in the Virginia Mountains may cause me to have to go far for assistance and further for reception.

I got my VX-8R yesterday. So far very sparse traffic on scan at 2,265 ft elev.

I'll figure this all out, but first I need to find another human with skills that is willing to impart much needed information to me. Practice tests are 80-90%.

Dave:unsure:

bamacj: Here are some local frequencies to check out when your here again:

Simplex 146.460
Bob's repeater (no tone) 146.850
Pike's peak 146.970
and one more 147.345

The pikes peak repeater connects to many others and will get you all over the state.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Im trying to get a trip together for an archery elk hunt in Montrose. Hopefulle will be out there later this year. Go ahead and get your general and we can hook-up on hf.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.