• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Toroid choke for VHF/UHF

archjeb

Jan 26, 2014
Folks,

On another thread, we discussed the value of toroid chokes for HF to reduce noise and to eliminate common mode currents. Especially for low band and HF using a mix 31 and mix 43, I noticed a HUGE improvement with noise.

What about for VHF/UHF? Do any of you use a choke on any of your coax for these bands?
Seems like most just coil up some coax at the feed point for UHF/VHF antennas and call it good. I'm wondering if there is any value in putting a choke between the radio and the ground plate outside?

If so, what mix?

What got me started down this path was to reduce noise for HF and I have a lot of site noise beyond just power line noise. All Ethernet cables are generating noise...so I'm putting chokes on all these cables. Then I saw the two VHF/UHF cables from my VHF/UHF radio and those hit the same ground block as my HF radio; thus the reason for my question for VHF/UHF.

Thanks,

-J

I use one of these. It is an isolator
s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MFJ-915-1-...WrAjw:sc:USPSFirstClass!40219!US!-1:rk:6:pf:0

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Never had any noise issues on vhf/uhf fm except for the occasional intermod in the receiver. On 2m ssb I have zero noise 95% of the time. Every once in a great while I get s2-3 noise to the north only? I live in the middle of a small midwestern town... this is my .02...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.