• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Toyota Truck bed antenna mount

StomperX

Sep 22, 2007
USA
Hello,

I was looking to put an cb antenna mount on my Toyota truck cab (in the front) but, can't seem to find a really good one.. I seen this one here (see below) but, I think, there's better ones out there.

DSC08699_Medium_.jpg

What do you recommend?.. been through the Breedlove site but, I can't seem to find one that would stylish yet good looking.

Any help is appreciated and yes, I maybe a mud duck but, I'm slowing building up my set up.

Cheers,

StomperX

apologize if this maybe in the wrong forum. can you please move it to right forum if it is? Thanks!

If you want to be heard you honestly need to have it on your roof. If you're just looking to listen and maybe talk to people in the same traffic jam then the bed mount will be fine. I've got a thread about mounts and antennas. Look that up. It might help understand more about transmission radiation patterns and so forth.

I simply use half of a mirror mount just below the bed rail at the left rear corner of the bed.
Keeps it away from the cab and has worked fine like that for years.I currently run a 96" fiberglass whip there, but I have used predator coil antennas, ham sticks and other antennas in this position.
The actual mount is a Pro Com Hd mount and the bracket was a mirror mount from a pilot truck stop.
Simple and it has never failed me.

Jeff

Reactions: hotrod
Hello,

I was looking to put an cb antenna mount on my Toyota truck cab (in the front) but, can't seem to find a really good one.. I seen this one here (see below) but, I think, there's better ones out there.

View attachment 39998

What do you recommend?.. been through the Breedlove site but, I can't seem to find one that would stylish yet good looking.

Any help is appreciated and yes, I maybe a mud duck but, I'm slowing building up my set up.

Cheers,

StomperX

apologize if this maybe in the wrong forum. can you please move it to right forum if it is? Thanks!

The bed-mount Breedlove series if TALL appeals.
102” on a 7” or 10” riser (RFJunk)

Will be a puck mount from them on the roof of my crew-cab Dodge diesel. A variety of antennas stacked in a corner, waiting.

Reactions: StomperX
Thank you everyone. Great feedback! I'll actually check out all the suggestions.
If you want to be heard you honestly need to have it on your roof. If you're just looking to listen and maybe talk to people in the same traffic jam then the bed mount will be fine. I've got a thread about mounts and antennas. Look that up. It might help understand more about transmission radiation patterns and so forth.
Awesome.. I'll actually search the thread! Thank you.

CR,

Do you have that thread about your essay on this subject.. I did a search on the forum but, I can't pin point where it is. lol

Thanks

The bed-mount Breedlove series if TALL appeals.
102” on a 7” or 10” riser (RFJunk)

Will be a puck mount from them on the roof of my crew-cab Dodge diesel. A variety of antennas stacked in a corner, waiting.

Hey Slowmover,

Which model do you prefer on the Breedlove Mount site? - thanks

Reactions: Slowmover
Hey Slowmover,

Which model do you prefer on the Breedlove Mount site? - thanks

I love ‘em all, that’s the problem.

With my pickup (Dodge 1T crewcab) it’ll be a puck mount on the roof. Sons SUV, an NMO mount. My travel trailer may also get a built-in or two.

Roof is best. Period.

After that lots of guys like the rearmost stake pocket as with above picture.

Read the threads those guys started. Click on name and read all “messages”. (Great threads) .

Reactions: StomperX
There are other considerations too...

Depending on where you mount that puck, may also require a type of connection point change too...

What am I talking about?

SO-239 to PL-259 - that type of connector you see on a typical mirror mount is straight thru and perhaps the best "less fooling around with" connection you'll ever have to deal with. MNO mounts are that less fiddly way also but come with fewer/less options...Stick it on and hope like h*ll it won't break the connection when you hit an overhead object - or worse - rain can start leaking into the connection and cab, ruining your Interior and SWR at the same time.

• Would be a good idea to buy some sheet metal to help with the reinforcement so you don't have to not only committing to holes in the cab, the replacement cost to upgrade to the sunroof option having to be added in because of the rust and weakened mess the flexing from your hi-po miracle of an antenna, caused.

upload_2020-9-4_8-38-33.png
The Breedlove mounts though, if you look at their setups, - come with SO-239 (the Female screw on end) the pass thru-style of 180. OR of another type that many HAVE to use due to clearance in the pass-thru (Bulkhead-design referring to "bulkhead" as your Finish metal and vehicles outer skin) - what they call "stud-mount" being what it is, the coax you use has a PL-259 on one end and has two ring lugs soldered to the opposite end of the coax that goes at the antenna - then the CENTER lug is bolted to the main STUD that passes thru into the antenna and the SHIELD side lug goes to a convenient ground point a VERY short distance away.(shorter the better)

There are other mounts that you don't have to cut and chew up your coax and will handle some loading of an antenna - I just cannot Guarantee they will last - are "puck base" types that feed thru but are 90 degrees off to the side - with an SO-239 to help keep the coax connector aspect simpler, and the lug ring problems of corrosion and impedance bumps out of the hassle with tuning and install...

upload_2020-9-4_8-49-32.png
Workman SM1-L
(can find a plethora of these on eBay)​

A word of caution on those 90 degree right-angle mounts - they don't tolerate large whip antennas very well, best to use them for 4 foot or less - they have a right angle tap "weld" the joins the stud for the antenna to the SO-239 - which can break and leave you with SWR issues - so you have been warned...(Personal Experience)

When dealing with close quarters and headliner esoteric's, keep in mind that the Stud-Mount to Ring Lug, may be the best if not, ONLY option you can use to still make the system functional.

So use a good puck mount and plenty of backing plate material - SAW Blade or otherwise - to help reinforce the mount so that when you can't avoid the overhead strike of limbs or ATM clearance issues, you can have the antenna survive the mess and keep going.

Thank you so much for all the kind response and information. I will look into studying this a bit and start planning my antenna hook upl.

Thanks guys!

10-7, reading the mail

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.