• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram D201A help please-tubes light up but nothing else comes on

Adamf

Jan 20, 2016
Hi all, I received a Tram D201A that was supposed to be working and when I turn it on ALL the tubes light up but no power that I see anywhere else, no meter lights light up, so sound, controls appear to do nothing. The radio has 3 fuses a that I see and all are fine. The switch that I believe disables power when you lift up the top lid I suppose has been bypassed as it does nothing and the fact that the tubes light up with top off I believe confirms that? I know this is a stupid question, where can I start? I do believe it was working when shipped, pictures were sent of it all light up. Maybe some kind soul can offer some help. Thanks for any help. Adam

Thanks KneeBiter, pictures posted. It does not have good looking work that has beenm done inside. Adam

Pretty weathered. First things to try Is pull the boards and re-seat them. Pull relay and re-seat.

I see several mods that were done. A couple of I think 455khz filters on bottom side not factory.

Yes, it's had some work done and really crappy work at that. I see some solder pads that were burned away so they had to jumper a few spots. I thought I had found the problem just now, I noticed the grey power resistor in the picture had one end that had been soldered but it did not hold and was not making connection so I ranIMG_3998.JPG a jumper wire and it did help a tiny bit, nothing more lights up but I heard a slight hum from the power supply area and I got some slight crackling from the speaker but that's it. Adam

Can you put a frequency counter's input onto the center pin of the top socket at the rear of the crystal board? That one is the 21 MHz output. If the signal is not there, the radio won't do much.

Does the S-meter zero set trimpot work right? If not, this suggests an issue with the 14-Volt power supply that resides on the BA plug-in board alongside the 6L6 audio tube.

Last edited:
Hi, when you say the top socket at the top reer do you mean where the last crystal is? It's soldered in if so, where do I attach my frequency counter? Thanks, Adam

FYI I was able to adjust the S meter zeronig, I can move it up and down and zero it so that part of the circuit is active! Adam

Hi, thanks for the clarification. Do I unplug the RCA plug and test at the plug or jack? Thanks, Adam

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.