• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trc 465

Do not take it above 15 watts of output on AM. This is not an audio beast keep but is a great radio. Set it between 2.5 to 4 watts and let it swing to 12-14 watts. It will sound fantastic on air. Do not take SSB above 16 watts.

Do not do NPC mod. Do not put in a 2SC1969. Do not do super swing mod.

These things sound nice when they are clean. I think Goldfinger has some recomended cap changes that might be worth exploring.

I would not waste time with a power mic either. After following Goldfinger mod's I would convert it to use electret mic. That will have you sounding better than 95% of people on AM or SSB not counting the channel 6.

If you need more power than turn your carrier down and get an amp that will swing to 150watts to 200 watts and set it up to swing to 100 watts clean. If done right and you recap the ancient TRC-465 the radio and amp combo will last you for decades if you do not abuse it. I would recomend a 2 transistor amp with MRF458 or MRF454 or MRF455 as long as they are not high drive amps with massive pad on the front end of the amp they could all work great with a TRC-465.

I have 4 of these radios in the form of 3xTRC453 and 1 TRC-465.

They are single conversion radio's but they are fantastic in spite of that. If you get a decade box and play around with resistor values on the revice side you can get them to almost sound like a super het.

After doing Goldfinger cap changes these also do well with a EQ/Compressor inline.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Oh and do not take the modulation past 98% to 100%. I do have one that came to me with the 2SC1969 and Super Swing Mod. It does sound really good on AM but no where near as good on SSB as stock radio. The audio on AM is just a little bit better it is not a massive improvement. The modifications and set-up I recomend eat the Super Swing modified radio's lunch.

If you want to put a 4 pin or 5 pin Uniden Mic board in you can but you have to take a Dremel tool and a sanding drum to the tins to make space for it. This allows you to get away fromt he Din mic connector. A 5 pin Uniden mic board is the easiest way to go if I am rembering right.

Good Luck!

Agreed. That radio is the same at the Uniden 122xl. It's a great sounding stable on SSB low powered radio. Team it up with a KL203 amplifier and that is a bang for the buck set-up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.