• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tree mounted antennas?

Best tip/advice is;
1. Don't fall out'a the tree. You or the antenna.
2. Depends on the particular antenna, but run a ground line to the base of the tree and ground it well. Won't do anything for the signal, but'll provide an easier path to ground for lightning etc. (poor tree!).
3. Expect some variation in SWR which will follow the swaying of the tree and the time of year (sap, not you, but in the tree/leaves).
4. Expect to be hated by 'tree huggers'. (Oooo, the biggy!)
5. Fix the feed line to the trunk of the tree. Someone is bound to try pulling on it.
6. Glue a plastic birdhouse around the base of the antenna. If/when neighbors ask, the metal parts sticking out are lightning rods to keep the little cheepers safe. (Helps with the P.E.T.A. idiots.)

Bound to be more tips/advice!
- 'Doc

Had an I-Max at 110 Feet in a fir tree for a few years. No problems at all. Just put out some nuts for the squirrels, because if you don't they will gnaw on the coax sheathing until it gets water in it.

Trees can work great ! I-Max or A-99 fiberglass no ground plane type antenna's will do great ! the higher the better in many cases . also good if you can at least get the top section sticking out with open air around it , but will still work pretty good even completley surrounded by the tree. If you wanted to protect your coax from rodents ? You could always use some kind of condoit , I used to use a snakey looking metal type stuff that would have a nice bending play to it. Tree's are fun ! especially when they work well and nobody sees it !! James Bond 007 radio operator 8)

The 'PUN', the root of all evil, is found in the tree of knowledge.

and Confucius say, man who farts in church, sits in his own pew...

If you're aspen for a reply, oakay. I'll do it as soon as I Maple to. In the meantime, you might pine or even balsam ...

I remember in my junior year of high school, my English teacher and I would get on a subject and just bounce awful puns back and forth, right there in class. Good ol' Mr. Butterfield gave just as good as he got!

In his class, Walt Kelly's birthday was a holiday. Mr. Butterfield had been a reader of "Pogo" since its first appearance, and there was nothing quite as sacred to him as the birthday of Pogo's creator.

Naw, this has nothing to do with radio, but a bit of praise to a really good English teacher! ;)

a99 in a tree

i have an antron a99 95 in top of a big pine on a 20ft pole exstended out of the top of the tree with 2 ground wires hooked to the pole going to two 6ft copper ground rods so that puts me right at 115ft !!!and lo0cally have talked here in nc from the coast to about 40miles west of raleigh also from the coast into parts of viginia and south carolina running 1k many station think i am on a beam and they laugh when i tell them its just an a99 i am happy!!!!!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.